Reload this Page >

Sandals, Galley Bay or Blue Waters?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Bruce & Betty

Help us decide which AI resort in Antigua for March. We have been to Sandals St. Lucia and enjoyed it very much, so we are tempted to try Sandals Antigua. However, we have seen some good reports on Galley Bay. Also, can anyone comment on Blue Waters? We are a mature couple and want a relaxing, hassel-free vacation. Our primary interests are nice beach, swimming and snorkeling, a comfortable room & good food and drinks, but we don't need an active night life. Thanks for any advice you can give.<BR><BR>

Old Feb 18th, 2002, 11:57 AM
Island Girl

I was in Antigua just a few months ago and I visited all three resorts (I was doing a resort review). I would not recommend Sandals if you like hassel-free because the beach it's on is anything but. If you like a long stretch of beach then Blue Waters won't do it for you because the beach is tiny. I would recommend Galley Bay of the three you mentioned. It will meet most of your criteria but keep in mind that you won't find great snorkelling off-shore at any of these resorts. Best to take a day sail to Cades Reef. Hope that helps.

Old Feb 19th, 2002, 03:39 PM
Betty

Island Girl -- Thanks for your response on the resorts and the info on snorkeling. Are there other day trips/excursions you would recommend in Antigua?

Old Feb 20th, 2002, 05:08 AM
Island Girl

Definitely take a a day sail. Waddidli Cats is good. Also, we took a day trip to Montserrat which was very interesting. You could also do a day trip to Barbuda but I can't speak for that.

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 12:02 PM
eric

My wife and I visited Galley bay last june for 5 days, then we went to Siboney which is just up the beach from Sandals to see another part of the island. We can attest that Galley Bay is much better than Sandals as it is less flashy, more classy and more luxurious. We were almost lured by the Sandals brochures but later found many pictures to be air-brushed and misleading. Galley bay has it's own beach with no motorized watersports. Sandals beach is crowded with tourists, jet skis and local solicitors. Service at galley bay is much more personalized and less mass-produced.

Old Feb 24th, 2002, 02:30 PM
dmn

Well I am not surprised, Sandals has its fans though. Have you seen all the money they spend on large full 4 color glossy adds-they should put some of that into the rooms. Thanks for the info!