Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Sandals Dunn's River Poor Value (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/sandals-dunns-river-poor-value-228004/)

Marie Jun 4th, 2002 11:47 AM

Sandals Dunn's River Poor Value

Just spent 7 days there.(5-26--6-1 Sandals has gone down hill if you have not been in a while.<BR>Staff was great, management poor, food pretty lousy, long waits, limited bar, no imported beers, red stripe or miller lite, water sports and restaurants not available because their booked for the entire duration of trip.Sandals is coasting on past reputation!

Statia Jun 4th, 2002 12:26 PM

No Red Stripe at a Jamaican resort? That oughta be against the law.

Marie Jun 4th, 2002 02:28 PM

Sorry that was poorly worded. They only had Red Stripe and Miller Lite. They did not have any other type of beers. I'll watch my gramatics sorry.

eric Jun 4th, 2002 03:05 PM

I agree with you about Sandals. We have been to Sandals about 8 times (in Jamaica). The last time was disappointing. We have not been there in several years. We feel they have priced the resorts way too high for what they offer. I think the Riu in Negril is nicer

Statia Jun 4th, 2002 04:54 PM

Marie:<BR><BR>No apology necessary. I have never stayed at Sandal's, but was rather just commenting on the fact that they wouldn't have Red Stripe. I'm glad to hear they at least did have THAT.<BR><BR>Sorry to hear the trip was what you expected.<BR><BR>

DAVE Jun 5th, 2002 05:28 AM

Can't agree with you more. My wife and I have been kicking ourselves since we stayed at Dunns River in early May. For the same price you can stay at the Ritz Carlton outside of Montego Bay!! Never again to a Sandals. Also, Grand Lido Braco for same price is MUCH nicer.

Mike Jun 5th, 2002 06:29 AM

Sorry to hear your trip wasn't good. We are going to Jamaica for the first time in August to celebrate our 10th Anniversary at Grand Lido Sans Souci (Ocho Rios). I read a lot of nice trip reports, but most of them was from last year. I hope they have not gone down. We have stayed at a lot of nice places in Hawaii, Mexico, Bahamas, etc. but never at Sandal's or Jamaica. We chosed Jamaica over Hawaii this time becasue we only have 6 days (mother in law is keeping our 2 and 5 years old - she has to get back to Florida) so we did not want to spend 9 hours each way in the air and not much time on the air. I hope we have not made a mistake, it is our 10th so we want it to be nice.

Melissa Jun 5th, 2002 08:28 AM

Mike,<BR>When I went to Jamaica in November, we were staying at Breezes Runaway Bay. We booked a tour of Ocho, and it ended up just being us and a couple from Sans Souci on the tour. We had a lot of time to ask them about the hotel. They said it was more amazing than they had expected. It looked really nice from the outside too (made me wish I had spent the extra for that location!!!) DO NOT WORRY!!!

Mike Jun 5th, 2002 09:16 AM

Melissa,<BR>Thanks for the update! This is good to know. It is always good to get update information. We are looking forward to it.<BR><BR>Thanks again!<BR>Mike