Who Purchased Treasure Island?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30th, 2004, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone heard anything about the Treasure Island Resort and who has purchased it? Are there any plans for updating the hotel? We were there in early March and while the hotel seemed to be running just fine, I noticed that none of the hot tubs were actually working. My guess is that they were not willing to spend any money on updating or maintenance??
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 03:38 PM

We are traveling to the GCI on April 17. About 3 weeks ago I called the GCI tourism office in Chicago and they told me the resort was in the process of being sold but didn't know the specific details.
How was the resort when you were there?
service, conditions, any info would be appreciated.
Old Apr 5th, 2004, 07:01 PM

Several bids have been put in for Treasure Island and now the people dealing with the receivership are deciding what offer to take. For those worrying about the hotel closing, I highly doubt that that will happen. It is in everyone's interest for the hotel to remain open. The bank holding the property until it gets sold is not about to put money into it, so I should imagine that it will be renovated when the new owners take over.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Other than the hot tubs not being heated the resort appeared to be running just fine while we were there for the first two weeks of March. I didn't actually stay in the hotel but rather in one of the Condos out front. My brother, who came down to shoot some professional portraits of our family, stayed in the hotel and reported that everything was fine. Check out the steel drum band in the lobby on Monday nights? Good entertainment and also a good local civic activity for young people from the island. We're looking forward to seeing them this summer in Toronto at the Caribean Fest. Also, if you are a snorkeler, don't hesitate to swim out a little further in front of the resort to see some nice coral formations that are much better than those close to shore. Enjoy your trip 562gye!
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 05:53 AM

Just an fyi - my husband and I snorkeled out to that further reef and had a boat race by between us and the beach. So you might want to tow a dive flag along so they know there are snorkelers.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 09:04 AM

I stayed at Treasure Island all of last week (week of 3/29) and everything was working. Grounds were beautiful and everyone was friendly. Place still needs some work, but nothing substantial, just wear-and-tear. If you go, say hi to Rich at the lobby bar. He is great guy! I heard the original problem was that the last owner pocketed all the money instead of keeping up the place-didn't even pay all the wages of the staff! Sounds like things are pretty stable now with the bank overseeing things.
Old Apr 6th, 2004, 09:07 AM

one fyi- I don't recommended eating at Hook's restaurant. It is not worth it. If you get a food and beverage credit like I did, you're better off using it on beverages at the lobby bar. The other restaurants on the island that I tried were good to excellent.