Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Sandals Antigua (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/sandals-antigua-291693/)

ctjmf Feb 23rd, 2003 11:40 AM

Sandals Antigua

Any information on Sandals Antigua would be great.How far from the airport? Is the beach <BR> big? Any information would really be nice.Thank you

ejcrowe Feb 24th, 2003 10:14 AM

My best friend spent her honeymoon at Sandals Antigua...and was disappointed for the most part. She thought the beach was really pretty but overcrowded (she was there in low season, July) with both tourists and vendors. Vendors were a serious nuisance in her estimation. The water sports facilities were not as extensive as she had been led to believe in the brochure, and the room was much smaller than it looked on line (and that was after two complimentary upgrades by the resort for her honeymoon.) However, they liked the food and the staff, especially the bartenders. She also really liked Antigua itself. She said that if she had just been on a regular vacation she wouldn't have minded so much, but she had put a lot of planning and money into this trip to make it special for the honeymoon, and was therefore disappointed. <BR><BR>I've been to Antigua, but not Sandals, and I can tell you that Sandals is about a 15 minute drive from the airport.

billc Feb 24th, 2003 11:13 AM

I just got back from 6 days at Sandals Antigua and loved it! The resort is great and so are the people. I had never been to a AI or a Sandals and was a little nervous after reading some posts, but I would highly recommend it. We were upgraded from a premium room to a grand lux and while I first found it kind of small, I soon realized that this is the Caribbean and you don't spend much time in your room. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. My wife and I really don't like the Club Med atmosphere and we worried that they would bother you to join in on games and things, but it wasn't like that at all. They have activities every hour and they are listed in the lobby, like volley ball, tennis and ping pong, but you have to go to them, they don't come to you. By the second day I was playing volleyball twice a day. Also, our room was right on the beach, which I would recommend. The vendors walk around but you just tell them no thanks and they leave you alone. Some are actually very interesting and we did buy a few things from them, but they are far from a pain. We were actually surprised at how empty the beach was and this is the high season. We got chairs every day and there was nobody around us. I thought the water activities were great!! We went, snorkeling, waterskiing, boat riding and it's all included. I also took a scuba diving class and then went out to a 20 foot deep ship wreck. They also give you lessons on how to use things and are very helpful. The taught my wife to water ski and me to use one ski. Again this is all included and all you have to do is walk over, grab a life vest and some skis and walk over to the boat and go, no need to sign up and you can go 30 times in a row if you want. They also have all sorts of boats you can use. The food choices were fine and plentiful and the drinks were nice and strong. They also have tours that you can take of the Island. I would recommend just hiring a local taxi driver to take you around and you can do things at your own pace. Ask for Willy who is stationed at Sandals, he took us around for 5 hours and waited while we explored, all for $80. I would definitely recommend Sandals for a nice vacation. If you need to know anything else, just post it.

sunylatitude Feb 24th, 2003 02:12 PM

We saw many negative postings before we went last April. We are SSG members and have been to Sandals resorts 8 times, and this was our first to Antigua. We could not imagine this resort being this bad. We had a great time at Sandals Antigua. The resort is so laid back and relaxing we would go back again. The beach vendors are not that bad, just say no thanks and they move on, we actually made friends with one of them, his name was Hazel and he talked to us many a time and we learned alot about his family and culture. We thought the food was very good, the Lobster at the OK Coral is great and the shrimp appetizer is very good. Kimonos was also very good along with the Italian restaruant. If you would like a nice relaxing day, what we did was hired one of the local taxi guys for 5 hours and let him take you to all the sites at your own pace. We even asked him to take us to a nice place for a light lunch and we paid his way. His name was FISH and he was very good, very knowledgeable, and everybody knew him everywhere we went. FISH is a local cab driver who's station is right on the Sandals property, just go to the front desk and ask them to have FISH come up to the front door. We stayed in the Honeymoon beachfront concierge rooms and we liked that location and how quite it was, but to each his own. The resort has a more active side with pool games and volleyball court and the quiet side. Yes we found a couple of the employees to have bad attitudes but most of them were very friendly and treat you as you treat them. As for drinks they will make them as you ask, if you want doubles or triples you get them. Be careful outside the resort as some places will put the tip on your bill and call it a &quot;service charge&quot; if you let a tip you pay them double ! We did not get to Barbuda nor did we take any of the Catamaran trips but many people did and they all raved about them. The only complaint we heard was there was NO SHADE anywhere on the boat and most people got fried to pieces, so take a hat and sun block. I have sent this same posting to several couples who were ready to cancel their trips and go to other places, and all of them sent me thank you's upon their return. If you think of other questions let me know, but have a great time.<BR>

beachlover99 Feb 25th, 2003 09:01 AM

I honeymooned at the resort last year and we had a wonderful time. The grounds are very lush/tropical and well kept. The beach is large, spread out and beautiful. We never felt overcrowded and the vendors were part of the experience. How can one expect to go to an island and not have any contact with any locals? We actually made friends with a few and found them interesting to talk to (keep in mind, you are visiting THEIR country). A simple no thanks will do also!<BR><BR>Our room was nice and was kept very clean. The food was good although not specatcular. The drinks were also good and plentiful. Service was good and we never had a problem. There were plenty of activities offered if looking for something to do. We really enjoyed all the watersports. <BR><BR>This resort has a real laid back feeling to it and makes for a relaxing vacation. I would recommend it and we plan on returning. Any questions, just ask!

mcclurejones Feb 25th, 2003 09:33 AM

I'm planning on going to Sandals Antigua, but I'd like to know of those who have been to Sandals' where else have you been in the caribbean, and how does Sandals compare to other places you've been?

avidreader May 14th, 2003 01:47 PM

We went to Sandals Grande on St. Lucia for our honeymoon last October. The trip and resort were amazing. We were completely pampered, and are anxious to try other islands and other Sandals resorts. I'm afraid any resort would pale in relation to the Grande. While the food wasn't what I consider five star, everything else about the resort was amazing. And the &quot;Stay at one, play at three&quot; option was fantastic. I'm beginning to feel a bit anxious about travelling to Sandals Antigua. I've read so many mixed reviews. But with our Sandals &quot;points&quot; and the voucher for first and last night free for returning &quot;honeymooners&quot; we don't want to pass up the chance. Does anyone out there think a Jamaica Sandals would be a better choice over Antigua? If so, why?
Thanks!!

eringo00 May 15th, 2003 07:21 AM

Can you book the catamaran trips thru Sandals or do you have to book them thru somewhere else? We are planning our honeymoon there this October....

avidreader May 15th, 2003 09:26 AM

If Antigua is like other Sandals, you can book directly through them when you get there. They offer a selection of excursions, or at least they did in St. Lucia.

Knowing May 15th, 2003 11:49 AM

avidreader,
I have not been to Sandals Grande, although I hear it's great! Our favorite Sandals is Antigua. All of Sandals food comes from Jamaica and I do think the food is slightly better there, however, you will find lots of fresh fruits and vegetables in Antigua and a feast at every meal. The Bayside restaurant is nicely located right along the beach, Kimonos was just a blast and the OK Corral was a great southwestern grill. So, IMHO, you will be very happy there.

jeanniesi Jun 5th, 2003 10:31 AM

Heard that Galley Bay is better then sandles. I would try Galley Bay, Have been to sandles and wont go back.