st. vincent or barbados

Old Dec 30th, 2005, 06:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
st. vincent or barbados

Hello there,
My husband and I are going to be flying to barbados end of September 2006. We have the option of staying two days there and exploring the island or going to St. vincent for 2 days. We then head over to bequia for a Tradewinds cruise for a week. Can anyone give us feedback on whether we should spend time seeing barbados or st. vincent. We are in our 30's, love exploring and hiking and beautiful beaches. My husband scuba dives and I snorkel. Anything we shouldnt miss would be great. Also, any feedback on the Tradewinds Yacht cruise would help. This is our first time on a yacht vacation. Thanks in advance.

Jessica Trask
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 06:39 AM

They are totally different islands. St. Vincent is volcanic, lush, relatively undeveloped, so-so beaches, very natural. Barbados is a coral island with many nice beaches, quite developed, but retaining great beauty.
So many and varied things to see and do, you have to pick and choose with only two days. Highlights are Flower Forest, Andromeda Gardens, Harrison's Cave, nature preserve, Francia Plantation. See www.barbados.org for more ideas.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 05:33 PM

My vote would be for St. Vincent. It is still mostly unspoiled by tourism. True Caribbean experience, as I said very little tourism. Barbados is a beautiful island but in a way very different from St. Vincent. As xkenx posted Barbados is coral and relatively flat. St. V. is mountainous with rain forest, Botanical Gardens, La Soufriere the volcano which last erupted in 1979. I have traveled the island extensively and admit to being biased.. I'd say check it out before progress rears it's ugly head. Do a web search of St. Vincent & the Grenadines. There is much info available. Some hotels you might be interested in are the Mariner, Grandview and Villa Lodge. If you have a good sized budget to work with visit www.youngisland.com
I can't help with info about a yachting vacation but I have sailed the Grenadines a number of times via Windjammer. In a word AWESOME.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 06:13 PM

If you are going to Bequia, which is very unspoiled, I would pick Barbados over St. Vincent because Barbados is more developed, beautiful beaches and perfect water. I was just on all three islands. St.Vincent is still lush and underdeveloped and you will get some of that experience on Bequia.

Enjoy!

Old Dec 31st, 2005, 01:27 PM

The scubadiving and snorkelling on St. Vincent are great (and on Bequia). By contrast, Barbados is pretty tame.

Barbados has great restaurants, lots to do (including hiking) as xkenc has pointed out, and fine beaches.

Mainland St. Vincent offers brilliant ecotourism experiences (parrot trails, volcano hike, water falls) but beaches and restaurants are way inferior to Barbados.

Bequia has a number of good (but not great) restaurants, beautiful beaches, good hiking, diving and snorkelling, and great access to other nearby islands through various daysail and charter outfits.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 10:02 AM

Just my opinion...take your two days and see more of St. Vincent and the Grenadines...and if you can possibly squeeze it in...go to Tobago Cays for great scuba and snorkeling too. This way you can see all the beauty of the the water. Barbados is postcard beautiful, but not an adventurer's island.