San Juan honeymoon/El Convento hotel

Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

San Juan honeymoon/El Convento hotel

I'm contemplating spending a week in June in PR for my honeymoon. My fiance and I are city-types, we would die of boredom at a resort, so I've been looking at the El Convento Hotel. Couple questions: How far is the hotel from the beach? Would we need/want a rental car? How are the standard rooms? Is a week too long in San Juan? Should we think about spending a few days out of the city?

Many thanks for your help!
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 12:59 PM

Check out www.tripadvisor.com for more info on this hotel.
Old Mar 22nd, 2004, 08:24 PM
Rob

Thev nearest beach is in the Condado - an $8 or so cab ride each way. Could get there usin public transportation - trip will take around 25 minutes. No changing facilities at the beach. Nearest beach with changing facilities is in Isla Verde - near the airport. A week may be too long in Old SAn Juan. You might be better off staying in a hotel in Isla Verde or in the Condado.
Old Mar 23rd, 2004, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks for the replies. I've been glued to Tripadvisor.com all week, it's a great website. Rob, thanks for the advice, it was just what I was looking for.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Another idea is the Water Club, there are great deals for it on Luxurylink.com. But with a beach hotel, I worry it's too remote and far from town. Any feedback on Water Club vs. El Convento?

Thanks again!
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 02:05 PM

The reviews on the Water Club have been slipping recently. Priceline is offering the WaterClub and a great price and you can "buy it now" no bidding. The great price may be due to the lackluster reviews. I have seen the El Convento hotel and it looks beautiful. It seems they have better reviews also. Have fun!
Old Mar 26th, 2004, 07:21 AM
Rob

The Watert Club is in Isla Verde and it is on the beach. It is a short walk to four major hotels in Isla Verde - El San Juan, Ritz Carlton, Intercontinental and Embassy Suites (not on the beach). A rental car is not needed. The humidity is a problem in JUne. For that reason I would stay at a hotel on the beach for the prevailing winds that provide a degree of comfort. OSJ would be uncomfortable because of the high humidity.
I would stay at the El San Juan or the Ritz but would favor the El San Juan for a honeymoon stay - younger more lively crowd.