San Juan, PR; worth it to drive elsewhere?

Apr 12th, 1999, 06:35 AM
stephanie

San Juan, PR; worth it to drive elsewhere?

We'll be staying in PR before cruise for 2 to 3 nights. Wondering if any of you who know the island well or have seen a lot of it would recommend driving 2-3 hours from airport to stay in smaller villages on beach. We would like to stay on a beach, not in a mega-resort, and like to snorkel and dive. La Parguera area looks nice, but we will have a grandma and 2 very small kids with us. Wondering if it is really worth it for just 2-3 night stay to drive 2-3 hours out of San Juan area after just flying all day to get there. Looking at a place called the Hosteria Del Mar in Ocean Park area of San Juan for one. Anyone familiar with this place? Also considereing Culebra - again, is it worth the hassle to get there after long flight to PR with kids & Grandma? Thanks in advance!!!

Apr 12th, 1999, 08:28 PM
John

Take a small plane to Culebra. Or to Vieques. Culebra is wonderful. Very quiet, beautiful beaches, good diving and snorkeling. Not much to do there except enjoy the scenery and water, but its beautiful. If you want to enjoy the beauty of PR, get out of San Juan. The driving times are usually based on fighting traffic, which you may not have to do.

Apr 15th, 1999, 02:23 AM
Maira

Stephanie---- A friend of mine stayed at Hosteria del Mar and enjoyed his stay very much.

If you head east in 1 1/2 hours you will be in a seaside town called Fajardo (my grandma's hometown!)This is the town from where you hop in a ferry to Vieques or Culebra (from the Puerto Real Harbor; be there early). Vieques and Culebra are tranquil small islands off the coast of PR. Beautiful beaches. Be aware that they were hit hard during the last Hurricane George. Not a lot of activities other than beach-related. There was a poster on this forum who was there last January. She posted great information regarding a trip to PR. Look it up and e-mail me if you have any questions. I'll be glad to help.

Search this Thread