Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Safty in St. John (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/safty-in-st-john-150202/)

Bob Frank Jan 8th, 2003 08:25 AM

Safty in St. John

My wife and I are heading to St. John this April and have rented a villa on Coral Bay. My wife is very concerned as far as how safe is St. John?

echo???? Jan 8th, 2003 08:30 AM

Asked and answered

res Jan 8th, 2003 07:54 PM

Go to the previous post on this site, Mr. Frank, and read through all the responses. Sift through well! I believe this is what "echo" meant to say. Enjoy your visit here!

love Jan 8th, 2003 08:22 PM

St. John is lovely &amp; safe...<BR>relax &amp; enjoy!<BR>

Sad Jan 8th, 2003 09:00 PM

Skinneylegs restaurant and bar in Coral Bay was robbed by 3 masked gunmen. Read about it here:<BR><BR>http://new.onepaper.com/stjohnvi/?v=d&amp;i=&amp;s=News:Local&amp;p=52931<BR><BR>Th is kind of daring armed robbery was unheard on St. John a few years ago. Apparently the high crime of neighboring St. Thomas and St. Croix is spilling over. Times have certainly changed...

alsosad Jan 9th, 2003 03:59 AM

sad but true there was an armed robbery on St. John. ONE. Check date of report. Check date of articles mentioned in other thread. The series of break ins is history. Could happen again no question but scan through all those papers to validate the non-existent crime wave. You can't find any because it's one poster's mission to misrepresent the USVI. <BR>

Jeff Jan 9th, 2003 08:16 AM

People are always speeding and doing bad stuff like that on St. John. That place is very crime ridden, I have never seen so many speeders!!!! Plus, they all seem to want to drive on the wrong side of the road. St. John is a bad, bad place!!!!<BR><BR>Hahahaha, I am so sick of these ridiculous posts about St. John. Hopefully no one will go there, so I can keep it my little secret for a long, long time!

Kara Jan 9th, 2003 09:57 AM

My husband and I rented a villa out past Coral Bay on the East End last July. I was also a little bit anxious about being in such a remote area but it turned out to be one of my best vacations ever. Go and enjoy!

Shanka Jan 9th, 2003 12:47 PM

St. John is very safe. Most of your activities are confined to one area anyway, so you dont have to do much in terms of travel. The island is tiny. The locals are very friendly. Dont forget to island hop while you're there!

shanka Jan 9th, 2003 12:49 PM

Jeff-<BR><BR>My sentiments exactly!

shanka Jan 9th, 2003 12:51 PM

Coral Bay might be a bit inconvnient in terms of shopping and bars. If you can, try stay closer to Cruz Bay.

Jimbo Jan 15th, 2003 01:24 PM

St. John is a very dangerous place. It is easy to get a bad sunburn and you could easily step on a sea urchin.The greatest danger, though, is being seized by &quot;Island Madness&quot; and quitting your job, selling your stuff and moving there permanently because of some crazy idea that you've found paradise.

MattB Jan 15th, 2003 01:31 PM

St. John is the exact opposite of St. Thomas. Relaxed, uncrowded, and Very Safe. I've been there several times, and never had One bad encounter. You'll have such a great time, so just relax!

Lonnie Jan 18th, 2003 05:40 AM

Please people.....though St. John is very safe, don't be stupid about it and leave your belongings in your unlocked vehicle, or wear mega expensive jewelry, or leave your villa rental doors open with your valuables hanging out. While we have petty crime, we also have tourists who come from other places and spend time ripping people off!!! Beware bad tourists. Keep aware of where you put your wallets and pocketbooks<BR><BR>I also do not recommend single woman hitching at night, or when you are drinking. Take a cab! Protect yourselves as you would where you live, and you will be safe here and in all the Islands.<BR><BR>

Laura Jan 18th, 2003 11:02 AM

I would say there are few places in the world where there is no crime and travelers have to use their common sense in today's world and be aware of their surroundings. <BR>Since St. John continues to be a very popular destination and you do not read about much crime I would think you would not have as much concern as some other destinations.