Search

Safety on Vieques

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Safety on Vieques

Planning a trip to Vieques next Spring, but I've read some posts that warn against locking cars (so they don't get broken into), nothing of value at the beach, etc. Overall, is Vieques considered safe? We will be staying at Hectors by the Sea. This has gotten great reviews - any additional info would be appreciated.
Old Aug 14th, 2006, 07:08 PM

After visiting Vieques, it is purely common sense. Don't put your bag of goodies in view. I don't live in a crime-ridden city and that happens here, too.

When you go to the beach, don't leave goodies in your car. And leave your car unlocked so it doesn't tempt someone to break in. We were there a week visiting different beaches and never felt in danger or unsafe EVER.

Old Aug 14th, 2006, 07:30 PM

I have been twice for a week each time, and have never felt unsafe or had anything stolen. As posted above, use common sense. At the beach, if my SO and I were in the water at the same time, we covered our beach bag with a t shirt to make it less obvious, and one of us stayed near shore while the other snorkeled. Never had a problem.
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 03:10 AM

I think almost every island recommends leaving your car unlocked with no valuables left inside.
My husband worked on the island for 2 months last winter. That left me alone to travel to the different beaches. I usually stuck to the easy to get to beaches, that had more people. Sun Bay and Red. If I did decide to venture further, I would only stay if there were other people around.
A man who lives there told stories about locals who come to the beach on horseback, and steal stuff from the beach. We have never seen this.
(Though I did see one man trying to bathe his horses in the water at Red Beach, amusing). Plan to see the Bio Bay on a moonless night. (somewhere there is a lunar chart, maybe on the enchanted isle website). Enjoy, it is a wonderful island, so far, uncommercialized!
Old Aug 15th, 2006, 06:47 AM
msb

Do not leave anything unattended. We were robbed twice in 5 days on Vieques. Once the car was parked on the side of the road and the other time we were at a secluded beach. We kept an eye on the car or so we thought and apparently it was thieves on horseback who swooped in while we were in the water. We returned to the hotel in our bathing suits and bare feet! We would return to Vieques in a heartbeat and bring all old clothes and shoes so if they're stolen it won't be a problem.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 05:55 AM

Beachgirl and msb are correct---
its still a great island...with big potential.
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 07:07 AM

Hello, I have traveled to many island and I am a native of Puerto Rico and I can tell you honestly that Vieques is by far my favorite places under the Puerto Rico / USA Flag. Regarding crime, yes there is petty theft on the beaches, but it not an everyday event or very prevalent.

As a traveler you must practice common sense precautions, to repeat what others have said, just don't leave valuables in your car, actually leave them at the hotel. IT is best to leave your car window open so they realize there is nothing of value inside.

Do not let your fears keep you from going, once you get there you will fall in love with the island and the locals as well, they are warm and friendly, say a simple "Hola" that goes a long way.

Once you get there you will become one more of the constant repeat visitors of the island.

I am on my way there this weekend, can't wait.

Hope this helps, here is a site about the island, check out the beaches page:
http://www.viequestravelguide.com/pu...-pictures.html
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 07:27 AM

islanders1
I, for one, look forward to your trip report!