Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Safest Island w/ Great Beaches to vacation with 13 month old

Old Feb 13th, 2006, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning our vacation for this winter and we want to go to the caribbean. Our son will be 13 month old. We are looking for a friendly island with great beaches right outside our front door. I would preferr all inclusive because it is easier with a child. All we want to do is lay on the beach! Thanks!
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 02:08 PM

Try Beaches Resort on Providenciales (Turks & Caicos). Very family oriented and all inclusive.
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 04:58 PM

I'd second that. Turks is great. Nothing but beach and people waiting on you. Beaches did seem like most family-friendly

You could also go to where we stayed - Royal West Indies. Just as nice, with less kids -
dc
Old Feb 13th, 2006, 06:42 PM

Try Aruba. Very kid-friendly but not tons of kids everywhere. It's very relaxing but kids fit right in.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 07:49 AM

Be very careful with the sun Aruba as the sun is very intense in Aruba because Aruba is very close to the Equator. If you choose Aruba make sure your little one has lots of strong suncreen on all the time and make sure you take along a snug or tie on sunhat and maybe a long sleeve t-shirt that your child can wear in the water. Shade is at a premium in Aruba as it is a desert island (think Arizona) and you should get a palapa hut, but be prepared to get up very early to secure one.

Antigua is a wonderful island with beautiful white sand beaches and the most clear turquoise water.
Old Feb 14th, 2006, 07:51 AM

Ooops! forgot to say the snug or tie on sun hat is because the winds in Aruba might blow off a loose fitting sun hat.

Have a great family vacation no matter where you pick.
Old Feb 15th, 2006, 08:04 PM

I would take the small villa at Moon Dance Villas in Negril - lots of shade for naps on the beach, plenty of room to stretch out and very calm, shallow water. You will have full staff.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 08:32 AM

Provo would be a wondeful spot for you to enjoy the beaches and relax. I would not spend the money Beaches requires as your child is young to enjoy all it offers for the kids. Royal West Indies is not an AI but you could have the convience of a kitchen, and the beach at your front door. They have a rest. that gets rave reviews, so you could eat every meal there if you choose and still not spend as much as Beaches. There are other places near enough to eat. Enjoy..
Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 08:01 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 04:51 AM

we have stayed at ocean club and ocean club west, both on grace bay in TCI, fine, very kid friendly and great restaurant nearby, Caicos cafe, great, great food. this area seems very safe, kitchens in all, easy on kids, easy answer, decent food at both and right on a patio by the beach, and they expect kids!
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 04:55 AM

royal west indies on tci is nearby, we ate breakfast there, maybe a little nicer but i can't picture an upset little one at the breakfast table, nice place too, and a little more upscale than ocean club, either are fine, ocean club west is newer, but they are all fine and close together.
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 12:00 PM

Barbados might suit, plenty of all inclusive hotels right on the beach.
Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 01:08 PM

Hi!

10 year long resident of St. John and Old san Juan. Bay friendly inclusive?

Hands down I would go to St. John to either to
Westin St. John Resort
web: www.westinresortstjohn.com/

or caneel Resort:
www.caneelbay.com/

Both have awesome and safe "baby sitting" services.

Lifestyle and culture site:
www.virginvoices.com

In San Juan I would ONLY go to baby friendly and beach outside your door
Wyndham condado plaza hotel:
http://www.condadoplaza.com

Lifestyle and cfulture at
www.virginvoices.com
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 05:04 PM

I did a search on Westin resort on St. John's and the price I found was over $800.00 per night for an ocean view room. I don't think that included food/drinks.(Maybe it does) I have to believe that Beaches in Turks is less expensive. Am I wrong?
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 06:33 PM
anonxx

If I were you I would get a condo/villa on the beach in Grand Cayman. Perfect for a little one.

Old Jul 28th, 2006, 05:14 AM

I would check out the Sands Resort in Turks and Caicos. It's not All Inclusive, but not worth AI for 13 month old. Usually kids stuff start at 2-3 year olds. For the price difference: Sands offers babysitters, it's very kid friendly. Condo units, so full fridges, etc to feed a hungry kid. Hemmingways there is an excellent kid friendly REstuarant. There is beach service (of course on the beach) so you don't have to pack up for drinks and food. The beach there is divine-usually calm crystal clear like a swimming pool. There will be other small kids for your's to meet and build sand castles. Bring one of those floaties with a built in seat, a big floppy hat, and it's hands free all day floating!!! There is also a perfect baby beach called Sapadilla Bay. Knee high super calm water for 100 yards, 13 month old dream!
Bonus: The beaches are the prettiest you will see anywhere!
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 06:27 PM

Your criteria:
"I would preferr all inclusive because it is easier with a child. "

St Thomas Wyndham.

http://www.wyndham.com/hotels/STTSB/main.wnt
Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 02:31 AM

ccalhoon, imhob sugar bay would be a terrible place for a 1 yr old. the resort has about 100 steps to walk down and back up just to get to their relatively small beach (or you have to ride a shuttle). the beach is NOT child friendly. water is rarely calm and sandy entrance gets deep very fast.
turks and caicos would be perfect with a little one. i agree skip beaches until he is older and could use the programs. no resorts on taylor bay beach or sopadilla bay beach but both have wonderful sandy entrance and taylor IS actually shallow enough for your son to splash around in. there are some very nice rental villas on both these beaches if this would be something you would even consider.
all the resorts on grace bay beach are truly ON the beach. sands or rwi are both nice.
and fyi provo "belongers" just adore and revere their children, so if you wanted a sitter for a couple hours i think you could feel safe with someone the resort recommends...