What is Barbados like in September?

Old Mar 5th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is Barbados like in September?

My fiance and I are getting married at the end of September. So far we really like Barbados for our honeymoon destination because we can play golf, enjoy water activities and stay out of the hurricane belt. However, I have noticed that some hotels are closed for the month of September. Are we going to find that most of the island is closed? Is it because the weather is bad?

Also, does anyone have good restaurant suggestions outside hotels?

thanks!!
Old Mar 5th, 2012, 09:38 AM

September (and October) is height of the Atlantic/Caribbean Hurricane Season and is considered "ultra" Low Season throughout the Caribbean, Barbados included. What that means is it is the time of year when there are the least amount of tourists - even in Barbados which because of it's location is not prone to getting too many hurricanes. As a result many resorts simply close during that period so their staffs can go "on vacation" and they perform maintenance on the structures.

So, no matter which island you choose expect that some but not all of the resorts and restaurants will be closed. The good part is you won't encounter any crowds nor will you go hungry as there still will be plenty of places that will be open.
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 03:05 AM

Like RoamsAround said some hotels do close in summer for maintenance work, however many are open and likewise for restaurants. The island certainly doesn't shut down.

Weather-wise you're right we are out of the hurricane belt, however in September expect occasional showers as it is the rainy season. The showers usually clear up quickly and back to sunny skies.

For restaurants try Tapas (amazing food and location along the south coast boardwalk), Pisces (romantic waterfront location and excellent dishes), Tides (more expensive but wonderful service and food). On the less expensive side try Zaccios (west coast), Just Grilling (excellent value for money) and Sand Dunes (east coast - for true local cuisine).

Congrats to you and your fiance, and have a wonderful time in Barbados.
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 07:47 AM

It will be very humid as well.
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 08:18 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the information. I appreciate the information and list of restaurants. Anyone know if golf courses will be closed?

If you have any other suggestions on activities, places to go and things to do I'm all ears!
Old Mar 6th, 2012, 09:35 AM
KVR

We are planning a trip to Barbados in August. I have done some research and found one of the main activities is swimming with the turtles. There are several catamaran companies that offer it. Also, jeep tours, Island tours, Oisten Fish fry on Friday nights, Bajan Roots & Rhythms dinner show, and Harbor Lights Dinner show. I found info on www.barbados.org.

Congrats.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 05:15 AM

Bds is one of my fav islands...I've been in Sept and Oct. The sun is really strong that time of the year...have fun...lot of stuff is open...you wont even notice the difference...make sure you make it to the south coast to boogie board and body surf!

peace, greenie
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 05:31 AM

The golf courses will be open.
KVR made great suggestions for activities. I'd also add Segway tours, zip lining, Atlantis Submarines, and a visit to Harrison's Cave.