Search

Rivera Maya Family AI

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2009, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rivera Maya Family AI

Which is a better choice- Iberostar lindo or Barcelo tropical/colonial?
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 05:40 AM

I did a lot of looking at resorts and from what i heard from several travel agents is that the Iberostar resorts are very nice. I looked at tripadvisor.com and resortvacationstogo.com and you can get fantastic deals. We chose Sandos Playacar Beach resort in Playa Del Carmen. We have never been there before. My other choice was Iberostar. We chose Sandos because it was slected by trip advisor as kid friendly and it is all inclusive. We got a fantastic deal through resort vacations to go. Barcelo was too expensive for our family of 5 but it sure looks great.
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 07:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Asking "which is better" doesn't help you get much information. What are you looking for? What is important to you in a vacation. What is "better " to me might not be "better" to you!

The Iberostar Lindo and the Barcelo resorts are both very family friendly.
The Lindo will give you unlimited ala carte dinners for your stay. At the Barcelo you will have limits on the ala cartes.
The Lindo also has a concierge to make your dinner reservations and all restaurants are air conditioed.
The beach at the Barcelo is a bit nicer and there is a water park which is great if you are taking children.
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

When I say better I mean- cleaner, better food, better pool, better service.

What is the difference b/t the iberostar lindo and the iberostar paraiso del mar- b/c the del mar is considerably less expensive?
thanks
Old Jan 28th, 2009, 02:25 PM

The Ib Del Mar and IB Lindo are part of the same complex. They share the same beach area.
The main difference is that the Lindo offers unlimited ala carte dinners. At the Del Mar you are guaranteed three ala carte dinner reservatons for a seven night stay.
Guests of the Del Mar share all their facilities with the IB Beach which is next door. You can use the bars, restaurants and lobbies of both.
Guests of the Del Mar will NOT be served food or drink at the Lindo/May, but guests of the Lindo/Maya can use all facilities at the Del Mar/Beach.
That being said, we have stayed at the Del Mar and nevr felt we were missing out by not eating ala carte every night. The pools at the Del Mar/Beach are incredible as is the service.
It also depends on when you are going. If you will be there in the summer, the buffets at the Del Mar/Beach are not air conditioned.
So...the Del Mar is definitely clean and the grounds are gorgeous. As far as food goes, if you don't want mostly buffets (although they are good), stay at the Lindo.
The beach as I said is the same for the entire IB Paraiso complex.
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for that info- Should we book our excursions ahead of time thru apple vacations? and which do you recommend. We are adventurous but we do have a 2year old and 4 year old- but my parents are going and are willing to babysit - at least one day for us.
Did you rent a car?
Which building in the del mar or which floor or view should we request.- we were going to go with 2 standard rooms.
Did you snorkel or dive?
thanks for all the good info
oh
-we are going last week of april
Old Jan 29th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

I just found out that if you stay at the del mar you cant use the wave pool at the lindo- now I am thinking about Occidental Grand Xcaret- any thoughts
Old Jan 30th, 2009, 03:55 AM

The wave pool and lazy river are really no big deal. The waves only run for fifteen minutes every hour and the lazy river is VERY lazy.
Also...many guests of the Del Mar DO use them.
The Occidental does not have a real beach. They just have a man made lagoon.
I would stick with the Iberostar.
We like building 15 because it's in the middle--half way between the beach and the lobby/restaurant area.
We always request a third floor pool view room in building 13, 14, or 15.