Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   RWI resort on Turks (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/rwi-resort-on-turks-290798/)

Purdue74 Jan 23rd, 2008 01:56 PM

RWI resort on Turks

My family of 3 adults will be going to Turks and Caicos in Oct. We are trying to decide on a studio in the beachfront building on the 2nd floor or a one BR in bldg. 2 on the main floor. The one BR has more space, but we have read some reviews saying there is a loss of privacy on the main floor(patio) and the units are darker. We do normally eat breakfast/lunch on our balcony. Can anyone who has stayed at RWI help us make the decision?

beachdreams3 Jan 23rd, 2008 02:39 PM

Just curious, are you looking at privately owned units through vrbo or something similar? Generally, if renting through the resort, they do not commit to specfic buildings or floors when you book.

Also, my experience in a studio (I rented through the resort) is that it does not accommodate three adults (there is one king size bed, and the sofa is not a sleeper sofa). Maybe building 1 has different furniture, though (I was in building 8).

I can't really comment on whether the ground floor units are darker. By nature of being on the ground, your patio is somewhat less private, but RWI has a lot of landscaping, and the paths throughout the property don't pass close to the patios, so probably no need to worry.

carol3 Jan 23rd, 2008 04:04 PM

We have stayed at RWI the past 4 years renting a one BR from a private owner in bldg 1. I agree with beachdream3, a studio will not be enough room for 3 adults and the resort will not guarantee you a specific building or floor. The resort considers bldg. 2 oceanfront. The only oceanfront bldg. is no 1. You should check out vrbo.com. If you decide on the 1 BR in bldg. 2, beachdream 3 is right, there is enough landscaping around the buildings that you will be okay.

BeachGirl247 Jan 25th, 2008 07:22 AM

We, too, stayed in Building 1, beachfront, in a studio. There isn't room for 3 people, IMO. We enjoyed having a kitchen to prepare small breakfasts and afternoon snacks and drinks. And I loved the view from the beachfront building balcony. We found our unit through vrbo.com

Maybe you could look for a larger unit through them?

julieblount Jan 25th, 2008 10:58 AM

My husband and I just got back from there last week and stayed in unit 123 in the beachfront unit. It was a studio... If you have 3 adults is would be very close quarters. I am looking to go back with 3 of my girlfriends and would not hesitate to stay in building #2. We are actually thinking about staying in building #2 next time for the extra room. By the way we always rent thru VRBO.

TPAYT Jan 29th, 2008 11:12 AM

Thanks to everyone for the tip of renting through VRBO.

We've been going to the Caribbean for 17 years and we were out of ideas for this March. Nothing was exciting to us-- sort of "been there, done that".

In reading all the comments to give us some new ideas, we came across the T&C,VRBO suggestions.

We finished our booking with "Ocean Club West" for the beginning of March. I hope we like it as much as all of you did.

SusGar Jan 30th, 2008 03:59 PM

If you had to pick one of he condo resorts, OBR or RWI?Which is quiter and is there a difference in the beach area?