COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Rules on taking food into US Virgin Islands

Old Sep 17th, 2000, 10:29 AM
pamela powell

Rules on taking food into US Virgin Islands

I am thinking of taking frozen chicken, bacon, and other staples on a trip to St. Thomas. Are there rules barring this?

Old Sep 17th, 2000, 01:40 PM
Ray Snow

Hi Pamela,
As far as I know there are no rules against bringing frozen food into the USVI from the United States. If you do take this frozen food, make sure that you do not pack it with hot ice or dry ice, because the airlines will be upset by the vapor given off. But I don't see why you would want to put up with all the hassels involved with brining quantities of frozen food when there are several large, modern, well stocked supermarkets on St. Thomas. Yes, their prices are higher than most places in the US, but not outrageously so. It's your call. Best of luck, whatever you decide to do.
Ray

Old Sep 17th, 2000, 03:51 PM
anon

I understand the need to save $ on vacation, but only once did I carry more than snacks & a very few dry staples & I will NEVER do that again. It's simply not worth the trouble of lugging all that heavy stuff around the airport terminals. I'd rather eat pork & beans or scrambled eggs for a month before & after my vacation. (If my budget was really low, I'd eat them on vacation too! LOL!)

Eating out, esp on the water's edge you see some of the most wonderful views an island has to offer. Shopping in island grocery stores is usually so much fun!

Old Sep 18th, 2000, 12:01 AM
Karen

The groceries on STT are well-stocked with familiar names and products and several have excellent meat departments. There are no "rules" taking food items to the USVI but there is about bringing some plant and animal items home! I usually take my Starbuck's coffee (can't get that!) and maybe you would want to consider small amounts of cooking spices so not to have to buy larger quantities on island. If there is some "speciality" item that you cannot live without, maybe take that too! Otherwise, sometimes traveling with extra luggage, a cooler, etc. might not be worth the hassle of the few dollars you MIGHT save!!

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 03:33 AM
joan

I too take food on vacation. Not to save money, but we usually rent villas and like to bring a small (six-pack) cooler with a couple steaks, lobster tails, etc. It's no problem. Be sure to leave the food in original packaging, it's much less suspicious looking that way. We have never been stopped, including visits to St. John, BVI, Bahamas, St. Lucia. Sometimes they ask what's inside, we say "steak". Never say fruit or veggies, they may start looking...
enjoy!!!