Rui Tropical Bay or Wyndham Rose Hall Resort?

Dec 4th, 2001, 05:12 AM
John

Rui Tropical Bay or Wyndham Rose Hall Resort?

My family, children ages 6 & 9 have a 10 day vacation booked at this time for the Wyndham Rose Hall Resort in Montego Bay for this February.

I have been reading some bad messages on the Wyndham Rose Hall resort and I'm think about changing resorts and going to the Rui Tropical Bay Resort in Negril.
Is the Rui Tropical Bay a family resort?

We are looking for a resort in a tropical setting that has a nice large fancy pool with beautiful landscaping. What is the pool like at the Rui Tropical Bay? On there web site it dosn't look very fancy.
We would also like a resort that has a good activities team that keeps the games, volley ball, etc., going during the day.
Are the nightly activity shows?

Does the Rui meet the above criteria?

Any help you can give us would be appreciated, I don't know if we should change resorts and go to the Rui or stay at the Wyndham.

Please e-mail me @ [email protected]

Thanks,
John

Dec 4th, 2001, 09:25 AM
ohliz

Rose Hall has a great little waterpark/pool for kids but Riu has the better beach. Both are family reosrts. Riu is brand new and has gotten all good reviews that I've read.

I prefer Negril over MoBay in any case and for kids the water is better - clearer, calmer, shallower.

Pics of Riu, including the pool:

http://community.webshots.com/album/20156561xNFyLJrjmN

Liz

Dec 4th, 2001, 10:04 AM
mj

Definitely Riu. Negril is nicer than Mo Bay in general. Quieter and more remote but definitely nicer beaches. You might also try Beaches there. Take a photo tour of both here;
http://www.myb.com/vegas/hotels/resort.asp?id=52
http://www.myb.com/pix/pixcaribbean/negril/beachesnegril/01.html

Dec 5th, 2001, 06:10 AM
chazz

I would pick Riu over Wyndham just because of the better beach, but a point needs to be clarified about Negril being quieter, etc., than Montego Bay:

The Wyndham is not IN MoBay; it's about 11 miles east of the city. It is not close to other resorts and the hotel is bordered by part of the golf course and other open areas - hills to the south, ocean to the north - very quiet and beautiful location.

I haven't seen the Riu yet, but there are certainly parts of Negril that are a lot less quiet than the Wyndham.

The Wyndham has a great pool complex, ugly '60s-style architecture, and a north-facing beach that tends to be windy and rough.

Dec 5th, 2001, 07:12 AM
Nick

But also keep in mind that Negril, though lovely, is a rough 1.5-2 hr bus ride and the kids have just gotten off a plane ride and now you have to cram them in a bus for a long period of time as opposed to just getting off the plane in MoBay and heading for your resort.

Dec 5th, 2001, 10:33 AM
ohliz

Nick, there are other options....

a) fly to Negril and be there in 15 minutes for about $50 per person

or skip the bus and hire a private driver to pick you up - we always do this with our kids (ages 4 and 7, last week was their 3rd trip). Our driver brings sodas and beer in a cooler and we treat this like the first tour of the trip. Stop for snacks, bathroom breaks, more drinks, when and where YOU want to.

The coast road is awful right now, maybe a 2 hour ride, but the mountain route is stunning, just small villages and sugarcane fields and mountains and a little bit of coast - and only 1 1/4 hours.

We use the ride to decompress from the plane and I love it, potholes, goats and all. I've never flown because I like the ride so much.
Liz

Dec 5th, 2001, 10:33 AM
ohliz

chazz, Riu is on Bloody Bay, about 7 miles from Negril town center, very quiet up there.
Liz