Reload this Page >

Rooms at Westin St. John

Search

Rooms at Westin St. John

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 03:43 PM
bob

Rooms at Westin St. John

Has anyone stayed in a poolview room at the westin? Are there only balconies on the second floor and are these the rooms with the king beds? Are these rooms closer to the parking lot and beach? any comments are appreciated.

Old Jul 8th, 2002, 07:59 PM
e

We always stay poolside on the FIRST floor. The first floor has a lanai that with a door that enables you to go to and from the pool area without schlepping back around the building. These rooms are the closest to the parking lot(75 yds) and the beach is about 50 yds away(although one building is right next to the beach AND the pool). I believe you can get king size beds on either floor depending on availability. Hope this helps some. If you have any other questions I'll help if I can. Good Luck !!

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 08:37 AM
bob

Are the rooms on the second floor any more private and quieter than the first flood. also i heard the balconys are very small, can 2 people sit out there?

Old Jul 9th, 2002, 07:30 PM
e

Really, except for during the day(when the pool is more active)its relative quiet all the time. People act like the pool area is loud and raucous at night and we have found(in 4 visits) this to not be true at all. In fact the pool area is "dead" at night(and we're always there over spring break). As for size, the balconys are NOT small,plenty of room to sit out. Is there a reason you prefer the 2nd floor ??

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 12:13 PM
bob

Tnanks for the info e. I just thought the second floor would be quieter and maybe more of a view. if not, let me know. I also saw a map of the resort, it looks like there are 2 buildings between the pool and the ocean, 2 buildings by the pool and 2 buildings behind those ( a little further from the pool). any sugestions.

Old Jul 10th, 2002, 02:08 PM
Penney

How is the beach there? And how is the location - close to town area?

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 03:11 PM
e

As for which building to be in, I'll look at my Westin map and get back to you. But the poolside rooms(no matter what floor)don't really have much of a view of anything except the pool area. The rooms at the top of the hill have fantastic views of the bay(used alot in Westin brochures). But, we didn't like going up and down a hill every time we wanted to go somewhere, and they are the farthest from the parking lot. I'll post back to you later.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 03:35 PM
bob

Thanks e. Im now looking forward to the poolside rooms in october. You said you like the first floor, but you cant go out the patio and still lock the room, can you? also, cant people look right in the room if your on the first floor. Are there balconies on the 2nd floor?

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 04:11 PM
dave

Beach is manmade and cannot compete with the other beaches on the island. Need transportation into Cruz Bay since it is not within walking distance but its good to rent a jeep and explore anyway. Rent from one of the agencies that lets you park in the lot during the day. Parking can be a problem in town.

Old Jul 14th, 2002, 07:11 PM
e

We leave the balcony door unlocked while we are in the pool area. We don't feel that this is a problem since it is easily visible from anywhere in the pool area. Also, it is not easy to see into the rooms from the outside during the day, and you can always shut the curtain. If you are in Bldg 12 or 14(they sit a little ways back from the pool), there will NOT be people walking by your room anyway. However in Bldg 11 and 15 (that are right on the pool) people do walk near your room but really not close enough to be much of a problem. If you can get in Bldg 10 or 16 you will be near the pool BUT on the beach. All that being said for the most quiet, I'd opt for 12 or 14, AND yes the 2nd floor does have balconys and they are not too small. We personally like Bldg 11, with our room right near the hot tub. Because at night there is hardly anyone around, we feel like we have our own private spot right outside our room. I hope this helps, if you have more questions just ask.

Old Jul 15th, 2002, 06:26 PM
topper

top for Bob

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 04:43 AM
CJ

Re: the beach at the Westin -- a lot of boats in the harbor out there -- I heard someone say it is no secret why they call it "Tootsie Roll Bay." I'd opt for any OTHER beach!

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 04:19 AM
Mike

Just found this forum, very helpful and appreciating everyone's comments. My very-soon-to-be wife are going to westin st.John in a couple of weeks for our honeymoon, haven't requested a particular room yet and can't quite tell from comments and their website which room location would meet the following, in descending order of importance: 1)best views of the ocean (beach front or up on the hill?) 2)relatively private/secluded (it is our honeymoon, afterall) including realtively private lanai/porch 3)extra ammenities in room like hot-tub/jacuzzi, plunge pool (they seem to be in the condo's up the hill?).<BR>First time in the Caribbean, plan to spend most of our time at other beaches, exploring or possibly some sailing,but like to come back to comfy accomodations. Tks again for all the helpful info.-M

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 04:23 AM
Mike

ooops! re last post: I'm going too! (along w/my fiance).

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 11:33 AM
Renee

Mike:<BR>I was very disappointed with our hillside room.<BR>Too far away, too dark.<BR>The 'ocean' is not really the view you're getting. It's a view of Cruz Bay, a true horshoe shaped bay, so it's not like views from the Hawaiian resorts, or from LA's and Florida's beaches etc.<BR>True, the bay is part of the ocean, but it's kind of a narrow angle ocean view, you might say.<BR>St. John's notoriously great beaches are the ones away from the Westin. The beach at the Westin is OK, but it's not what you're going to St. John for. The great beaches are up the coast a bit.<BR>So my advice would be to get a room that's not too far from the pool, and to get a decent size room, not a standard room.<BR>Hope you have a great time!