rooms at Somerset

Jan 29th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

rooms at Somerset

We have reservation in May for 5 night at the Somerset in the Stirling House. I am now having second thoughts especially after seeing Blamona's pictures of the Estate House. Should I try to change? I was really wowed with her pictures on Tripadvisor. Don't want to get there and wish we had made an even bigger "splurge".
Jan 29th, 2007, 12:36 PM

You only live once .... Go for it.
Have a great vacation what ever you decide.
Jan 29th, 2007, 12:40 PM

If cost is not an issue, why not. Take the plunge!
Jan 29th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

I was hoping someone had actually been in each unit. The cost is significant from about $900 a night to about $1200. But I don't need a study and second bathroom - but I would like to have the large terrace and probably better view. Blamona where are you? I was hoping you were able to tour the property. I know everyone says you don't spend time in the room but if I have to travel 18 hours to get there I want to be comfie.
Jan 29th, 2007, 02:26 PM

I have pictures of a Stirling House unit, it's gorgeous! My sister stayed in one for her wedding night. Everyone was impressed by it!

(The Estates are spectacular though) You can get the Estate unit, and invite me! 8-)

Just check back this evening, I'll have them posted for you.
Jan 29th, 2007, 05:12 PM

for your viewing pleasure: 5 pictures of inside a Stirling House unit:

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...slideshow=true

Jan 29th, 2007, 06:09 PM

Blamona, you're killing me! I had all but written off The Somerset for a low-season vacation because it blew my $10k budget to smithereens. We had decided to return to Anguilla. But those pictures... Ugh!

Okay, I now have to regroup. Perhaps I'll save a bit more and go in 2008. Like Jrfitz, after traveling many, many hours to get to paradise (with our children in tow), I have to have a room with a view. I thought the Estate rooms were the only ones with decent views. Can't do garden view, but I'll consider the Stirling rooms if I can get more details on the view. I like seeing the ocean and hearing the ocean.

We've never been to T&C, and our children fell in love with pictures of the water and beaches there. 2008 needs to get here pronto!
Jan 30th, 2007, 04:07 AM

family4travel:
I tried to add a picture of the view from the living room, but it it let me! 8-( Stirling House has views of the whole pool going down, plus the ocean. I would stay there in a heartbeat. I too have gone to Anguilla numerous times and love it. With kids, you can't go wrong at Somerset. You get the upscale feeling of Anguilla, in a more kid friendly version. I have stayed numerous places in Anguilla, (including Cuisinart, others) and actually love Somerset more. Call Somerset directly, I know they will have packages-may even meet your budget! (or better!)

jrfitz: What do you think?
Jan 30th, 2007, 06:37 AM
Original Poster

Blamona! Thanks you so very much. That gives me a much better idea of what to expect. I must say that your pictures of the Estate house really blew my socks off and it was what made me decide to actually go to the Turks. I think we will be find at Stirling - probably just being a greedy brat wanting to stay at the Estate House. As long as I have a terrace to sit out on and have drinks. Plus I did really want a sitting area for the times it just get too hot. Speaking of hot. How warm will it be in May? Also - do I need to pack anything more than just a slip on dress for dinners out? We are flying from Calif and want to try to travel light this time. Thanks again Blamona - you always have the very best advice! Since we only have five days what would be a good itinerary? Is the conch farm worth a look? We tend to be beach people (under a palapa) and just veg with a book. Wish we had now booked 7 nights. Oh well, there is always next year (or better yet - Sept for my anniversary!!)
Thanks again for the pictures
Jan 31st, 2007, 07:27 AM

Blamona, many thanks for the great information. Very helpful.
My children have some activities already scheduled in June when school ends, so would I be crazy to consider T&C for early July? I've never traveled to the region so late in season. Usually mid-June is where I end Caribbean trips. July 1st - July 10th would work for us, and it would cover two birthdays for members of our family.
Is July much hotter than May/June? What about heavy/rains? I always purchase trip insurance, so if any tropical storms are rumbling in the area, I can cancel at the very last minute.
The airfare is looking pretty high for July, but I guess the flights are expensive during the low-season. If I can't make this work for 2007, I'm definitely going to get there in 2008. Thanks!
Feb 1st, 2007, 09:18 AM

family4travel:
I have gone in /july and loved it. I'm a heat lover. Not much difference in June/July. T&C is one of the driest islands, rainy season really just means hurricane chance, and with insurance, you seem covered. I go in July, the water is like glass, crystal clear, calm, bright turqiouse. I don't know if it's luck, or the island.
Personally, other than the chance of a hurricane (and you usally get 5 or 6 days notice) the weather is phenomenal all over the Caribbean, PLUS, there are bargains to be had. I think it's too soon for airfare yet, price will come down end of April. And you can get off peak packages to boot!