Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Romora Bay Club (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/romora-bay-club-155968/)

John Feb 6th, 2002 11:35 AM

Romora Bay Club

Hi,<BR>Planning a honeymoon to Harbour Island in July. I'm about to book a week at Romora Bay. The boutique hotel feel and location, between bay and beach, appeals to us. Has anyone been to this hotel recently, in the last few months? How are the rooms? Pictures look great but it's hard to tell. <BR>Also, is July rainy? Lastly, is it best to fly from Miami to ELH or from Nassau? I've heard the Nassau airport can be a pain.<BR>I would appreciate any answers, I don't know anyone who has been to HI!!<BR>

Paul Feb 6th, 2002 01:56 PM

John;<BR><BR>4 yrs ago I took my wife to HI for our 10th. It was wonderful. Not much to do but lay on a drop dead beautiful beach, eat and drink. <BR><BR>We stayed at Pinks Sands. If I were to go again I'd do the same. To be on that island and not be ON the beach would be a downer to me. (but my wife and I are beach buffs)<BR><BR>Romora Bay is on the other side of the island on a bay with a dock. The rooms are on a hill that cascades down. It's nice but certainly not upscale in anyway. The pool was small and the rooms looked a just a bit outdated to me.(unless they've been really remodeled) It would probably be about a 15 min walk or a 5 min golf cart trip to the beach side of the island.<BR><BR>In short I suggest that if you can swing it, you consider a beach property.<BR>Either Pink Sands or Dunmore Beach Club would be my choice. Write if you have other questions.<BR><BR>Good luck!<BR><BR>Paul<BR><BR>PS...we were there in late June and it was hot!!! but not so we could not enjoy ourselves. When it rained it rained hard and then quick quickly.

Paul Feb 6th, 2002 01:57 PM

Do Miami to ELH. We had no problems that way.

tweedy Feb 6th, 2002 05:51 PM

Hi John.<BR><BR>I have been going to Harbour Island at least a couple of times a year since 1986, so I know the island quite well.<BR><BR>Romora Bay was purchased a couple of years ago and alot of the grounds, villas, common areas and dinning room were rennovated. It is small and quaint and you will find serves some of the best food on island.<BR><BR>Romora is a short walk to the beach and is right on the water, but you are right there is no beach there, but there is a nice pool and deck area. Also a bar, great for sunsets.<BR><BR>The villas have alot of privacy so you will feel pampered.<BR><BR>July will be HOT, so bring LOTS of sun screen and use it often. The weather will be hot and sunny and almost everyday you will get rain or a thunderstorm, which is quickly over. <BR><BR>There are now a few new stores on island and more to see and do, some nitelife and of course lots of water sports. There are also 2 dive shops on island for dive or snorkle trips.<BR><BR>There are several restaurants on island that are very good, also a few take-a-way, a deli, bakery, grocery stores, art galleries, internet cafe and one of the MOST beautiful beaches you will find anywhere.<BR><BR>Harbour Island beach is rated one of the 10 most beautiful in the world, soft pink sand. <BR><BR>We are usually there in June or July so we may run into you.<BR><BR>Getting there is half the fun. We fly directly into Nassau and either take the Bahamas Air flight or the Fast Ferry over. The price is just about the same rt so you can fly one way and take the ferry the other.<BR><BR>Come visit the www.briland.com website for more info and tell the gang there hello for me.<BR><BR>If you have any other questions, please let me know.<BR><BR>tweedy

John Feb 7th, 2002 06:42 AM

Thanks for the information. <BR>One more question, do you know of any sites where I can fine a good map of the island? I've been to Briland.com and others. Also any pictures would be helpful. Thanks!!

tweedy Feb 7th, 2002 11:57 AM

John, <BR><BR>If you look around the www.briland.com site I think there is a map of the island. You also might check a local bookstore and find a book on the Bahamas.<BR><BR>Harbour Island is so small you can walk most of the island in an hour. The island is 3 miles long by half a mile wide. <BR><BR>I don't think I have ever rented a golf cart, but I stay a bit closer to town at Runaway Hill (www.runawayhill.com) which is a smaller hotel (10 rooms) and right on the beach with a nice pool.<BR><BR>One night you might want to have dinner at Runaway, great food there also.<BR><BR>At most of the resorts on the island there is one seating for dinner at 8pm and guests gather in the bar area, so you get to meet lots of other people staying on island, and you will find alot are regulars, who like me come back every year.<BR><BR>Also staying at Romora, you are right down the street from one of the nite spots, Seagrapes, where the "Funk Gang" play nitely.<BR><BR>I think you will love Romora, it is perfect for a honeymoon.<BR><BR>Again, let me know if you have any other questions.<BR><BR>tweedy

Paul Feb 7th, 2002 01:31 PM

John.....for a honeymoon I still vote for Pink Sands.....Pure Class and romatic....expensive? Very....but hopefully you'll only experience this once!<BR><BR>Paul

Paul Feb 7th, 2002 01:33 PM

John.....for a honeymoon I still vote for Pink Sands.....Pure Class and romatic....expensive? Very....but hopefully you'll only experience this once!<BR><BR>Paul