Rockhouse or Idle Awhile in Negril..

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was pretty set on IA until someone recommended the Rockhouse.I went to the website and wow...it looks like a beautiful place.

My question is we love to snorkel and know that Rockhouse would offer very good snorkeling.BUT we also would love to have beach time.If we stay at the Rockhouse...how far is 7 mile beach?And is the beach public..or do you have to be staying at a hotel on the beach?

This is really confusing now..we love good snorkeling and relaxing on the beach.Please help!!What would you suggest?Thanks for any advice in advance!

Old Aug 8th, 2005, 06:09 PM

You do not have to be staying there to use the beach. It's very public.

It's not walking distance really.. and that road can be a bit hairy!

Taxi rides (prices) are a bit of a pain for the newcomer. They will try to get the best deal for them! It can be pricey back and forth BUT Rockhouse MAY have a shuttle. BUt if you dont mind spending the money

I have to say- I LOVE splitting a vaca there. I travel light- enjoy 4 days on the beach and 4 on the cliffs.

favs.

Just Natural for breakfast
3 dives for jerk
a day trip to YS falls
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 06:10 PM

http://www.jamaicans.com/destination...pNotes-2.shtml

A great guide to Negril- might give you some ideas
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Original Poster

This was kinda of a spontaneous trip.We were going in November..but when I found that Jamaica can be done pretty cheap (compared to STJ)we decided to go mid Sept. for 5days/4nights.

If we like Negril..I will definately want to do a future trip with time being split between the cliffs and the beach.

BTW..I will confirm the taxi rates with the cab driver BEFORE he takes us anywhere!Have heard to always do that.

Thanks for your information.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Anyone else?
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 07:09 PM

Idle Awhile....hands down. Easy choice Miss Christie.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 07:50 PM

I stayed at the rockhouse in the mid 1980's and loved it until someone violated my room while I was out and stole all of my money and my possessions. This was a very beautiful place to stay but let me warn you it can be DANGEROUS. I've never returned since. Let me warn you many other guests were robbed while I stayed at the rock house. The beach is a mile or 2 down the road.
My recommendation is stay in a well guarded hotel on the beach or stay away from Negril.
It is a Mecca for Criminals who prey on innocent tourists.
Jamaica is one of the most dangerous islands in the Caribbean if staying outside of well guarded all inclusive resorts.
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 07:57 PM

Christie

Don't let ronandlane's post worry you.

It's his/her first post. Personally I'd listen to regular posters. They are the people who are positive and negative when needs be.

Jamaica is a safe place to visit if you take care but thats the same within the US and the rest of the world.

It would be nice to know if ronandlane has any positive travel experiences
Old Aug 8th, 2005, 08:34 PM

Christie, I usually just lurk, but had to join this site to reply to the post by Ronandlane. Idle is a great beach property. The Rockhouse 20 years ago was a completely different property than it is today. There were just the original villas with limited security (same as most properties back then). We stayed there as well as other cliff properties back in the old days and never had any problems. I am not saying that burglaries don't ever happen, but an experience from so long ago is not relevant. We still stay there and while we appreciate the "new" features such as the pool, bar and restaurant & electricity, we miss the remote feel the property had. To put your mind at ease, they have 24 hour security guards who patrol the grounds, security cameras, a manned front desk as you enter the gate and in-room safes. The security is not intrusive. We still feel very comfortable walking the cliff road to restaurants, etc (watch out for traffic!). Just don't do anything you wouldn't do at home. The view is beautiful and the snorkeling is pretty good. Cab ride to beach about 10 min to the Idle Awhile area. Most properties will let you hang out (except all inclusives) if you buy a drink or lunch at their beach bar, and there are public areas. Also Margaritaville has trampolines in the water and lots of lounge chairs. It won't be crowded in Sept. We love staying on the cliffs and watching the sunset from the veranda. If you have any questions, just ask & have a great time!!!
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 03:49 AM
KDR

Christie,
I was in Negril in January for four nights/five days and we stayed at the Rockhouse. It is a beautiful place, and I had a lot of fun snorkeling. My only real complaint was that the service was not very good. I felt completely safe in our villa and walking the grounds.

For our one day at the beach, we took a cab to Idle Awhile. I think it was $10? Maybe a little less? The beaches are public, and we felt completely comfortable using the lounge chairs at IA, of course tipping the person who watched our stuff and ordering our food and drink from the IA beach restaurant.

Some of the bigger places on the beach will send shuttles to pick you up in the cliffs, and I don't think you are obligated to stay at those resorts the entire day.

If I were to do my trip again, I would probably stay in the cliffs for two nights and on the beach for two nights. It'll just be you and your husband, right? You shouldn't have much luggage at all, so it would be a pretty easy travel. That way you can explore the cliffs (3 Dives, etc.) and also have the wonderful pleasure of waking up on the beach.

Enjoy!
Kym
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 04:04 AM

We stayed at Idle Awhile, and had dinner at Rockhouse.

I could not decide either between the Rockhouse and IA, and am glad we chose IA.

We split up 10 days between Negril and Jamaica Inn at Ocho Rios. (Great place.)

IA is so much easier to get to bars and restaurants from.

Rockhouse is gorgeous, and I would like to go back and stay there sometime, but we really enjoyed our stay at IA.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 06:06 AM
mm

I prefer the beach but love to visit the cliffs. The beach is so vibrant and fun that it's always interesting. I love to watch the comings and goings of the locals and tourists. The beach is a sort of expressway with folks heading back and forth all day. You can be as much a part of this dynamic place as you want as I'm sure IA has good security to ensure your privacy.

The cliffs are dramatic in their beauty but there is much less interaction with the locals. There is no path connecting cliff hotels but rather the west side road which is busy and tight and twisty. Not the best place for walking.

I'd eat dinner at least once at 3-dives and have lunch at Xtabi. Before or after lunch you can jump off the platforms built into the cliffs there, snorkle or just relax with a ice cold Red Stripe.

Sunset from each place is magical.

mm
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.

mm,
That sounds like a good idea..I guess that we will stay at Idle Awhile and visit the cliffs.

BTW..I looked at 3 Dives menu and a Red Stripe is only $1.29 USD..that is great!The curry lobster sounds good as well.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Diana,
I have heard alot of good things about the Jamaica Inn in OR..maybe that will be a future trip.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 08:12 AM

Christie, you'll love IA. That section of the beach is beautiful. Take one of the boats out to the reef for snorkeling for a few hours.

Also, when we stay on the beach we usually take a cab one morning to Xtabi for breakfast and bring our snorkel masks. Xtabi has caves and some decent snorkeling.

You can walk along the cliff from Xtabi to 3Dives, Pirate's Cave & Rockhouse very easily. Check out the little shops along the road also.

Have a great time!
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 10:26 AM
Original Poster

Jandk,
thanks..I printed this thread to have while in Negril..to help me.I have a bad memory.
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 10:38 AM

Christie

You should try what I do: When I read a post and it has a useful piece of info, I cut and paste the 'useful piece' into a word document which I keep on my desktop.

This way it's nice and easy to find the 'useful stuff' without scanning through information that really isn't relevant.

When you go to Jamaica keep the document handy to re-read on the plane. Once you get there things will begin to fall into place

It's also a good way to research future trips

Old Aug 9th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Alya,
Good idea..thanks!

Old Aug 9th, 2005, 12:15 PM

Though the Rockhouse is a VERY pretty and unique place, I'd suggest staying on the beach (Idle) and dining at least two nights at RH. That we you get the best of both. There's so many great places to walk to for breakfast, lunch and drinks on the beach, I personally would rather have it all at my easy disposal(private bathrooms as well) during the day and look forward to RH in the evenings. We actually took a small motor boat from our beach hotel to RH for dinner one night. Felt much like a James Bond scene climbing the stairway to the restaurant. (then take a cab home) I forget what it cost but it was a VERY memorable and romantic thing for my wife and I. Good luck and please take the Ronandland post with a grain of salt at this point. Just be aware of your surroundings just like you might in Chicago, Detroit or LA. Have fun!!
Old Aug 9th, 2005, 12:20 PM

Ayla..........That's just what I do too. Makes for so much fun dreaming and planning a trip over the winter months!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -