Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Riviera Maya or another Caribbean location? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/riviera-maya-or-another-caribbean-location-760391/)

SarahRae0807 Jan 8th, 2009 07:18 PM

Riviera Maya or another Caribbean location?

Hello! I am looking into a trip to Riviera Maya in Feb time, just for an extra long weekend. I am hoping you could help me with some suggestions!

It will be me and my boyfriend traveling, we are 27 & 25 yrs. We like nice places but nice has meant an older crowd and stuffiness. We don't really like to party, and we don't love huge crowds (like Atlantis) we don't love tons of kids running around, a few are ok though, but we like it kinda laid back. I have been to Cancun twice - but I'm looking for something different for this trip.

Also, been to Caneel & Little Dix (beautiful but too much of an older crowd feel) we loved Yost Van Dyke. (A sandals resort looks intriguing for the atmosphere)..

So I guess we are looking for a great beach and beautiful place to stay but laid back- is the water warm here? We like clear warm water, snorkeling is a plus, but not necessary. We really want to do an AI just to have some fun with it. We also want something not too too far from the Cancun airport since it will be a short trip. So should we do Riviera Maya, Tulum, and resort suggestions? Or anyone suggest any other locations in Caribbean? (we are coming from Boston)

I really appreciate your input!! Thanks :)

schmerl Jan 9th, 2009 03:48 AM

Secrets Maroma in the Riviera Maya would be perfect. Great beach, great service, great food, adults only.

schmerl Jan 9th, 2009 03:49 AM

Also...Secrets Maroma is only about 25 minutes from the Cancun airport.

SarahRae0807 Jan 9th, 2009 06:11 AM

Great thanks!

Reisender Jan 9th, 2009 09:23 AM

Check out Secrets Capri as well and also Secrets Silversands (we did not like Silversands as well as Capri).

chgeeb Jan 9th, 2009 10:41 AM

SarahRae,
Coming from Boston also...
Girlfriend and I are similar ages, heading to Playa del Carmen in May, however,
Where on Jost Van Dyke did you stay? Very interested in going there! How did you go there from Boston? Thanks!

Sarah0807 Jan 11th, 2009 07:10 PM

Hey! Where in Playa Del Carmen are you staying? We didn't stay on Yost, we did a split trip to St. John the Virgin Gorda. We did a day trip to Yost from St. John. We really liked the island though, it had a good feel to it and it was beautiful! It looked like there were camp grounds there, but we didn't look into any places to stay there. The day trip was great though and you could probably do that from Tortola, St. John, St. Thomas, Virgin Gorda, etc.

Sarah0807 Jan 14th, 2009 05:19 PM

Hi Schmerl,
Thank you so much for your advice! I am undecided between Royal Playa Del Carmen and Secrets Maroma..The Secrets Maroma seems a little closer to the airport and a much better beach, but it is also more expensive and seems like the hotel may not be as exotic as the Royal Playa Del Carmen? The Royal is also closer to the town, which may give us more to do...I am going back and forth on these 2! Does anyone have any advice that may be a deal breaker? Also, is it possible to walk along the beach from Royal Playa to Secrets Maroma beach? I would really love to see this beautiful beach everyone talks about, but I'm not sure I'll love the hotel part of it :)