Ritz St. Thomas vs. Caneel Bay St. John

Old Jan 17th, 2000, 04:04 PM
Jim

Ritz St. Thomas vs. Caneel Bay St. John

Planning a honeymoon. Which would you prefer or do you have any other ideas to recommend?
Thanks

Old Jan 18th, 2000, 04:24 AM
Keith's Nan

Caneel Bay by far. Beautiful beaches, great accomodations and St. John is a must for honeymooners. You can get over to St. Thomas easily for day trips, but I bet you will not be taking many, if any at all once you are in St. John. I would suggest not taking an All Inclusive if you go to Caneel. There are many wonderful restaurants to enjoy. Congratulations.

Old Jan 18th, 2000, 11:24 AM
ljd

Jim,
My husband and I were in St. John and St. Thomas this past May. I definitely think St. John would be the better island for a honeymoon. It is beautiful (most of it is a national park) and isn't very touristy. We didn't stay at Caneel Bay because it was booked, but everything I had read about it sounded very good (except it doesn't have air conditioning...if I remember correctly). Two great restaurants to try on St. John....Asolare and Le Chateu de Bordeaux (make reservations when you arrive)

We spent a week in St. John and then our last 2 nights at the Ritz in St. Thomas. St. Thomas is very congested, but if you like shopping you might want to spend a night or two there since you have to fly out of there anyways. Definitely stay at the Ritz if you do. The hotel is fantastic and it has a beautiful view of St. John.

Old Jan 21st, 2000, 05:26 PM
Karen

And I make that 3 votes for Caneel. By the way, the rooms now are a/c'ed. Skip the Ritz and head right for St. John. You will have seven wonderful beaches to choose from right on the property! My understanding is that Caneel will let you go on the meal plan during your stay ... so try a few of the good restaurants (Chateau Bordeaux, Dining with Andre, Asolare if you like fusion)but there is advantages to not having to drive/taxi to dinner! Take the public ferry to CA for a day of shopping (or half day) if you must - every new bride definately needs a "trinket" to commemerate her honeymoon and there are many "trinket stores" to choose from! Just check the cruise ship schedule and pick a "slow" day!!! You might also want to consider Caneel's trip to Little Dix in the BVI's so take your passports! They do it several times a week and offer a split between the two ... much better than splitting between the Ritz and Caneel!

Old Jan 21st, 2000, 05:28 PM
Karen

Forgot to mention as alternatives, you might want to check out Biras Creek on Virgin Gorda or go to scubamom.com for her reviews of the BVI's. They are still what St. John used to be!