Ritz Carlton - San Juan or St. Thomas?

Jan 6th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Ritz Carlton - San Juan or St. Thomas?

... for a quick 4-night getaway from NYC in February.

I've narrowed it down to these two. Traveling alone, looking for peace and quiet. All I need is a nice pool and a good book.

"Alles Gut!"
Jan 6th, 2009, 09:51 AM

Well, there's direct flights from NYC to both places. Don't know too much about San Juan but the St. Thomas Ritz Carlton is definitely lovely and the island itself is probably much quieter than San Juan. Magen Bay in St. Thomas is also one of the most beautiful in the world and just a few minutes away. St. Thomas Ritz also has a pretty nice pool and beach, but San Juan probably has better nightlife.
Jan 6th, 2009, 06:05 PM

the ritz in san juan is nice, but i don't know if it's what you're looking for. It's in a city that happens to be on the beach. I personally think the beach it is on is not attractive at all. When you walk out the front of the ritz it;s in a kind of not so great area.

Now having said that, when we go to PR we stay at the Ritz b/c we like ritz service and we like SJU's restauarants and nightlife. But i think for your purposes, St thomas might be the better choice.
Jan 7th, 2009, 06:56 AM

Definitely St. Thomas of these two. But if you are traveling alone, I'd actually steer you to the Ritz-Carlton in Grand Cayman. It's a large, high-rise resort, but the island is much safer and more user-friendly ... as long as you don't mind the big-hotel feel.
Jan 7th, 2009, 07:05 AM

st. thomas ritz is gorgeous. great pool and beach with wonderful view of islands.
i have traveled to st. thomas alone and with a girlfriend. felt safe at all times. stayed near ritz at secret harbour beach resort. drove around the island freely in the daytime - did not go out at night.
Jan 7th, 2009, 07:30 AM
Original Poster

Everyone -

Thank you very much for your helpful advice. I have decided on the St. Thomas property, and look forward to a relaxing stay!

Doug, I agree that the Grand Cayman R-C, based on the reviews I've seen, would be the best option. However, a friend was on a cruise ship a number of years back, which was denied the opportunity to disembark there, as it was a "gay" cruise. So - - - I do not wish to spend my hard-earned money in such a place!

"Alles Gut!"
Jan 8th, 2009, 05:49 AM

The Cayman Islands has officially changed their policy regarding gay travelers if that's an issue for you. I think it's a pretty safe bet that no gay cruise will ever again be denied entry to the country. But there was a kissing-in-public incident there last year I think (someone was arrested for a "lewd" display).

I think you'll find that the USVI are just as homophobic as any other island in the Caribbean. Even Puerto Rico, which has much more gay nightlife and culture than other islands, is pretty homophobic.

I guess what I'm saying is that you can make a decision not to visit a particular island for political reasons, but the reality is that the Caribbean is a very religiously conservative, pretty intolerant place regardless of where you to. If you want to visit a more inclusive destination, then you need to travel to Hawaii.
Jan 8th, 2009, 08:39 AM

hi liesl, glad you decided on st. thomas. i think you'll enjoy it a lot. if you decide to leave the ritz - the town of red hook is 15 min cab ride and might be fun to poke around for an hour or so.
or taxi to secret harbour resort (10 mins) - go snorkeling off the right side of the beach and then have lunch and a libation at their open air restaurant/bar, the blue moon cafe.
ritz has a nice sailboat the lady lynsey. might be nice to go for a sunset sail... if doyle is the captain tell him virginia from maine says hi.
hope you'll come back and tell us how your trip went and maybe post some photos.