Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Review the restaurants at the Ritz Grand Cayman?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/review-the-restaurants-at-the-ritz-grand-cayman-583181/)

TnTWalter Jan 19th, 2006 10:02 AM

Review the restaurants at the Ritz Grand Cayman??

Can anyone give me their reviews of the restaurants there? How do they compare with other favorites like Grand Old House, Calypso Grill, etc.? Thanks.
Trish
48 days to go til my 2nd trip to GC

filter14 Jan 19th, 2006 07:25 PM

Hi. I've not been to Grand Old House or Calypso Grill(daughter and husband went there and they enjoyed it but they went for a casual lunch). However 4 of us went to '7' in the Ritz for lunch. We had the buffet which consisted of burgers, hotdogs, pizza, turkey clubs(with an egg?),some fish items, salads and various other normal lunch items. Fruit and mini pastries(which we surprisingly didn't like) finished it off. The cost was $19 CI. There is an ala carte menu. Our thoughts were the room is elegant but the meal was just okay. We would have preferred to head over to the Westin and just ordered off the menu. The service was very good as in someone was hovering nearby at all times. The place was practically empty.

We were going to have dinner there in the evening when it turned into the Steakhouse but cancelled. Instead we headed to the fairly new Copper Falls Steakhouse. We'd dined there earlier in the trip and since the meal was excellent we figured why take a chance.

TnTWalter Jan 20th, 2006 04:42 AM

Thanks. I'm really interested in opinions on Blue and Periwinkle and the wine bar...anyone? Tom?
Thanks so much.
Trish
47 days to go...

GC_Sandy Jan 26th, 2006 05:32 AM

To TnTWalter,
I saw your post on another site and you were advised to skip Rum Point, well don't. Rum Point is one of the prettiest spots on the island and a great place to relax in the hammocks, have lunch and snorkel. A great place to spend the afternoon! That other site you were on is very bias and you only get places recommened by their sponsors. A great restaurant to try is the Lighthouse. Good food and nice ambiance.
Sandy

TnTWalter Jan 26th, 2006 07:49 AM

I was starting to wonder that...thanks...is BFM all that he's cracked up to be? Seems so biased...
Trish

GC_Sandy Jan 26th, 2006 08:43 AM

The BFM show is just a guy playing a guitar and singing cute little songs. Jimmy Buffet he's not!!! The dinner with the show is not that great either. It's an ok night out for something to do in the evening. We saw his show when he played at Rum Point and once was enough. He has a big fan on that other site and that's why he gets so much attention.

I read that your staying at the Ritz. Have you checked out the reviews on Trip Advisor. They might have some Ritz restaurant reviews.
Sandy

TnTWalter Jan 26th, 2006 09:25 AM

Thanks...

Rum point...is there a place to eat lunch there? I know the wreck bar is there but I'm thinking that's more for the cocktails.

any places we have to snorkel besides stingray city? a shipreck? something?

are the blowholes really worth it?

do you know of any unbiased grand cayman forums [besides here of course]?

I have been scoping out tripadvisor and reviews are starting to show up. Blue sounds wonderful.

I remember walking home from Royal Palms in '00 [we stayed at Westin then] and they had a live band...we went there after dinner someplace else...it was lots of fun. I think I'll do that again.

Do you recommend Papagallo or Edoardos?
They seem biased over on other board towards Papagallo but lots of people rave about it.

I'm thinking of Edoardos, Papagallos, Blue, LightHouse
I might have to post the same quesiton on this board to see what responses I'll get...
Trish

GC_Sandy Jan 26th, 2006 11:06 AM

The Wreck Bar at Rum Point does serve lunches and the food is pretty good. Burgers, jerk sandwiches, salads etc. There are picnic tables on the beach where you can eat. I highly recommend it for a fun afternoon.

There's great snorkeling all over the island. Check out www.divecayman.ky for info on the various snorkel sites.

If your driving around the island exploring you can stop and see the blow holes. It takes maybe 5 min and your done.

My favorite web sites are Fodors, Trip Advisor and Caribbean-on-line. I think you'll find more honest info on these sites.

I've never ate at Papagallos so I can't recommend, but Edoardos and the Lighthouse are excellent. We try to eat at the Lighthouse on every visit. I did read a review of the Ritz restaurants by someone who was just there and they said you don't need to go off the resort, that their restaurants are that good. You'll have to let us know what you think when you get back.

I'm not heading down till end of April, so be sure to give us a trip report when you get back. Post your questions here and I'm sure many people can help you out.
Sandy

lkemerson Jan 26th, 2006 06:18 PM

Hey Sandy!!!

You know I love ya, but...I have to say that my family enjoys going to the Barefoot Man show. The dinner is pretty good, the show is fun. My family consists of hubby and I, and a 25, 26, and 27 year old]. No, he is no Jimmy Buffet, but he sings some bawdy, fun songs...and the people watching is generally pretty good.

Rum Point is gorgeous, and we always try to get there. I believe it is one of the prettiest places on the island as well. The snorkeling is not what it used to be at Rum Point, or it wasn't in April.

You ask:

any places we have to snorkel besides stingray city? a shipreck? something?
---I answered in your other post, but there are any number of places to snorkel. Grand Cayman is snorkel heaven. For ship wrecks there is the Calli and the Gamma. The site Sandy gave you will show you were they are. Again, I suggest, Smiths Cove, Eden Rock, Cemetery Beach, near the Turtle Farm, Queens Monument.

One hint I would also give you, when planning your stingray city trip, please check the Cayman Port Authority site to see how many cruise ships will be in port the day you want to go. ONLY schedule when 1 or NO ships are in port. You will enjoy your experience so much better NOT being in that mass of humanity! Do the same when planning your trips in to shop in Georgetown.

If you want a quick bite, I'd also suggest the British Bakery in Georgetown. Delicious baps and brit food for a good price. For a nice pub grub meal, try Fidel Murphys. Excellent stew, fish and chips and fun crowd on football nights!

TnTWalter Jan 27th, 2006 01:48 AM

I was curious post hurricane which sites would be best for snorkeling. Sounds like you feel they're all still good. Thanks for tips about cruise ships.
Trish

TnTWalter Jan 27th, 2006 04:37 AM

Stingray Brewery any thoughts on this place? Thinking we'll swing buy it on way to/from Rum Point...

lkemerson Jan 27th, 2006 08:51 AM

Trish,

For snorkeling, if weather permits, do not miss Queen's Monument. It is rare you see anyone there, and you will see more sea life, and beautiful corals and sponges there than anywhere else we have snorkeled on the island in all the years we have gone there. It was in very good condition in April of 2005 so I'd say that by now it is even better! ;c)

We even met up with a reef shark there this last year!!!

Eden Rock, it also came through very well. Be sure to stop by this place. Rent a locker from them, to store you towel, etc...and you can park in their lot for free. AGAIN...check that port authority schedule before a trip here or to Stingray City.

anonxx Jan 30th, 2006 06:01 PM

We really like the Lighthouse (although the dock hasn't been rebuilt yet, the rest is gorgeous and food excellent). I also recommend Portofino's, great food and ocean views. Stingray Brewery was closed last week, not sure why. For a great ship-wreck snorkel trip, try "ecoventures" on the east end.

monk21 Jan 30th, 2006 06:43 PM

We had a great lunch at the pool bar. You can order off the restaurant menu if you ask. We had Swordfish on a Nisciose salad and chicken satay...the mojitos were great as well.