Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Returning to Bermuda for first time in 40 years for Anniversary (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/returning-to-bermuda-for-first-time-in-40-years-for-anniversary-538717/)

pjblmb Jun 22nd, 2005 11:40 AM

Returning to Bermuda for first time in 40 years for Anniversary

My wife and I honeymooned at Elbow Beach 40 years ago and have decided to go back to Bermuda next June to celebrate our 40th wedding anniversary. This time around we'd rather not stay in a large hotel as we prefer the more personalized service and ambiance one gets at small up-scale resorts. After much research we have narrowed our selections to either Pompano Beach Club, The Reefs, Pink Beach Club or Cambridge Beaches. We have read the reviews for all of these resorts on Tripadvisor.com and as expected found some conflicting comments.

We would love to hear what fodorites who have stayed at any of these places have to say. As was mentioned earlier we prefer small upscales resorts (we've stayed at places like Nisbet Plantation, Little Dix Bay, Caneel Bay, Cap Juluca, several different Four Seasons), we like full service amenities, personalized service, large well appointed rooms (suites and upscale bed linens are a plus), attractive grounds, well maintained properties and great food (we like the concept of a "dine around" rogram and are also open to dinning off-property). While we love children we would prefer a resort that caters more toward adults rather than families. Although we are in our early 60's we are physically fit and fairly active. Quite frankly, we are looking for the best small resort on Bermuda and recognize that the finer things in life carry an appropriate price tag so budget restaints are not an issue.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

girlonthego Jun 22nd, 2005 01:45 PM

The Reefs!!! We throughly enjoyed our stay there. We did bring our children, but they were the only ones there. It is really adult oriented. The food is excellent. It is a small hotel with a very personal charm. They have a nice new infinity pool and a private beach. The beach at Elbow is much larger.
This is my parent's favorite hotel. My mother hates to travel, and this is the one place she hops on the plane to. They also honeymooned in Bermuda at The Reefs about 45 years ago. My brother honeymooned there about 10 years ago.

Dreamer2 Jun 22nd, 2005 02:00 PM

Well, I'm definitely in the Cambridge Beaches fan club. It fits your description to a T. Such gorgeous grounds, incredible spa, and fabulous dining room. If you don't stay here, at least visit once for dinner! Although further "out," we loved the location, as it was close to the Naval Shipyard (by motorscooter). During high season, a shuttle watercraft takes you back and forth to Hamilton a few times a week. We really found it a perfect resort.

By the way, I love your "resume" of previous travels. Do you have a favorite?

Congratulations on your 40th! Best wishes to you both.

joan Jun 22nd, 2005 02:10 PM

Happy Fortieth Anniversary!

My husband and I honeymooned there too, 28 years ago this August. That is so romantic that you're going back. I think we'll do that for our fortieth too!

pjblmb Jun 22nd, 2005 04:20 PM

Thanks for the good wishes and the responses so far. Your comments are very helpful. We hope others will add their experiences to the mix.

To Dreamer2: - Of all the places we've been I'd have to rate CJ and LDB at the top of our lists. We've been to both resorts multiple times but if I have to choose one I'd pick LDB (to be honest it's a very close call between the two). I really loved Virgin Gorda (it's my favorite island) and the resort was perfect for us.

Naturally we are having fun planning this trip and hope to finalize our selection in the near future.

cmcfong Jun 22nd, 2005 04:29 PM

A cottage at the Reefs would really be wonderful. I happen to love the cottages at Cambridge Beaches, too. Frankly I cannot imagine that any of the four properties you are considering would be a disappointment.

kateny17 Jun 24th, 2005 05:54 PM

My family has traveled to Bermuda on numerous occasions. Two of those visits were spent at Pompano, while another was at the Pink Beach Club. We dined at Elbow Beach with friends once. If you want a spacious beach and wonderful food head to the Pink Beach Club. If you want warm, friendly service and a beautiful (if cramped) beach, head to Pompano. Overall, I would go with the Pink Beach Club.