Restful Retreat on Palm Island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2008, 07:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our trip to Palm Island gave us a chance to see beatuiful tropical foliage through which we were allowed to perambulate. Coconut Johnny knew a good spot when he found it. The only thing that kept us from a perfect trip was my husband being sick the entire time and his refusal to see a doctor (can warm fresh air and sunshine make a person better? Not when they need antibiotics!) This beautiful resort and island does recall a simpler time. General Manager Richard Kauper keeps the mood relaxed and low-key, reminding visitors that the best vacations make you forget about the outside world. Leave your blackberries at home: there's a sign on the beach saying no cell phones are allowed. Sometimes, this IS just what the doctor ordered.

Who else was there: British people looking for a refuge (70% of the guests almost year round. The exception is in the month of August when people come down from the states to get out of the heat), and some American travelers. Fifysomething couples were the biggest age group, and there was the occasional honeymooner.

What was cooking: Banana pancakes. French toast and the usual egg choices for breakfast. We were a little surprised that there wasn't more fresh fruit. You could also opt for the full English experience (the meats, baked beans, porridge, etc). If you're lucky at lunch, you will order the Shrimp Angelique, the shrimp skewers or pumpkin soup. The dinners are great, including a rib eye steak we had one night and the weekly barbecue that Mooch puts on is fabulous. My only dining advice is to ignore the chicken dishes. They tend to be a little bland. The use of native vegetbales was awesome.

The bar: Top shelf rums, Galliano, etc. They serve all the classic drinks including the ice cream drinks. My favorite remain the Banana bed shees and the Bushwhacker.

Don't miss: Afternoon tea down by the Palms - replete with pastries and sandwiches and also a nap on the beach in the shade.

In your cottage: No TV or telephone, comfortable king size bed, imported Gilchrist and Soames conditioning shampoo, soap and body lotion as well as the mending kit and shoe shine cloth. Other amenities included bathrobes, and more thoughtful touches, like a refrigerator full of beer, wine. pop and cream to go along with the coffee. This ensures that anyone would feel at ease. There is a/c, but we chose to keep our shutters open. We also had a wonderful patio outside with teak furniture

Best low-key acivitiy: Choose from a library of many books, watch TV in the TV room if you must, or check your e-mail.

Local attractions: Sailing, snorkeling, Tobago keys.

Shopping options: A ten- minute boat ride back to union Island will bring you to some T-shirt shops. However, the selections of anything really aren't there.

Distractions: hammocks, tennis, bicycles, massage, superb beaches with soft white sand and azue blue water.

We loved this trip, it was well worth the money and time it took to get there...lots of sun and beautiful beaches as well as a great staff. We felt further away from the real world than even a very secluded resort - and the notion that you can literally run away from the "Real World" is priceless.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 10:47 AM

great report. thanks for posting. i e'd it to my friends who went a year ago. she was jealous and mentioned that they had loads of fruit on her stay.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 03:59 PM

Does this place have a website? I'm interested...
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 04:03 PM

here ya go krisabug27 http://www.eliteislandresorts.com/si...amp;islandID=4
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 04:10 PM

That's what i thought it might be! This is one of the vacations on my list.
How did you get there?
It truly looks like paradise.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 04:16 PM

Did you go to the Tobago Cays? Palm Island is beautiful. Glad you had a great time. Hope your hubby is feeling better!
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 04:28 PM

Thanks for the report. We stopped there briefly on our Grenadines day trip. Beautiful little place. My pictures from our visit have the most vibrant colors. Hope hubby is feeling better too. Where does one find a doctor there? Union Island? I'm really glad we got to visit, even if it was for a very short time.
Old Feb 15th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Krisabug,
It's not an easy place to get to. We live in MN, so we flew from Mpls to Miami and then to Barbados. You then take a prop plane to Union Island(about 50 minute flight). From there they take you by speedboat to Palm Island (8 minute ride). It really is worth it.
Kris, we didn't make it to the Cays. My husband was really sick and I didn't want to go without him. When we go back, we are planning on going together.
Brenandg, there actually is a doctor/artist that lives on Palm Island. Richard also told us there is a really good doctor on Union Island.
My husband started feeling a little better today as he has started on his antibiotics. Tough for anyone to be sick on any vacation, but I felt so bad for him as he didn't even want to eat.
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 12:35 AM

So glad you enjoyed Palm Island Knowing,thanks for the report.My wife and i have just returned from the Sandals Grande in St Lucia and boy do we wish we had gone back to Palm instead.It's just so relaxing compared to hustle and bustle of Sandals.
Sorry to hear about your husband being ill but us men are very stubborn.The island doctor is a nice frenchman who likes to sail between the islands on his small yacht so he may or maynot be in attendance at any given time.
Hopefully will be returning to Palm ourselves in the near future.
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Keefatniffy-
Having been to that Sandals in St. Lucia ourselves, I know exactly what you are saying. I hope you make it back to PI soon. It was interesting how many people have been back there 8-10 times. But we understand that, don't we?
Old Feb 16th, 2008, 08:46 AM

I'm glad you had a good trip -- minus your husband being ill. I hope he was able to enjoy it a little. We enjoyed our stay there -- minus the mosquitos that feasted on me for days! And when you go back (and you will) you must go to Tobago Cays. It is spectacular!

I'm toying with going back to Petit St. Vincent down the way from Palm Island. It is a glorious spot in the world, isn't it?
Old Feb 17th, 2008, 12:39 AM

Knowing.
We will certainly be giving serious consideration to Palm Island on our next caribbean trip (hopefully next year).In May we are off to Mauritius as we thought we would fly east for a change and try out that side of the world.We may or may not like it,but it will have to be good to match Palm.
And i totally agree with beachgirls thoughts,the Tobago Keys are an awesome experience which i'm sure you will love whenever you get back to Palm.
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Beach Girl,
I worried about the mosquitos as they love me. I noticed there were two cans of spray in the room. However, I only had a couple of bites from one of the lounge chairs on our patio. I wonder if it's possible it has something to do with the time of year you are there? We will absolutely go back as my husband missed so much by being sick. I kept hearing that the Tobago Cays are the gems of the Caribbean and that the snorkeling there was incomparably the best people have seen. The other couple that flew in to Palm Island with us were not impressed which shocked me. They usually go to the BVI's and felt the snorkeling was better there. I still want to see for myself. I heard that PSV is a lot like Palm Island except there are no keys for the rooms? Sigh...

Keefatniffy - I know that Mauritius is in South Africa and the economy is fairly good, or at least it was, but that's about it. Please let us hear from you after you return.
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 09:03 AM

Knowing,I will certainly give you a report when we return from Mauritius.Don't want to be picky but it's a long way from South Africa it's to the east of Madagascar way out in the Indian Ocean.Just looked it up,approx 2000 miles from Durban.
Hopefully should be good there but unfortunately its a 12 hour flight from the U.K which is the longest non stop we've done.But if we want see these places we have to make sacrifices don't we.But i suppose if we don't like it we can always fall back on beautiful Palm Island again.
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 10:47 AM

keefatniffy, I definitely want to hear your trip report upon your return! We are planning an India trip in the next few years and Mauritius is a tag on to it. The pictures and readings make it sound like paradise. The aerial views remind me of a wonderful dream.

Knowing, for me there is no comparison between Palm and PSV. I'd take PSV any day of the week and twice on Sunday. The private cottages, the beaches, the views from telescope hill, the privacy and the tropical landscape. It is a special place for us. But at the end of the day it's all good, isn't it?!
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 12:27 PM

How did I miss this trip report until today?! Thank you for reporting back. I feel so bad for your husband. Hope you get to go back again and truly enjoy it with him.
Old Feb 18th, 2008, 04:18 PM

Hi Knowing! Don't feel too bad about missing snorkeling the Tobago Cays. It's a beautiful place to sail around in, but we didn't find the snorkeling to be spectacular. I would say it was mediocre compared to other places. There's been a lot of damage from the storms.
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Keefatniffy,
You're not being picky, I just haven't entered that part of the world. We have friends that go to Africa for five months each year and I thought it was them talking about Mauritius. I now realize that it had to have been someone else. 12 hours is a long flight. I remember going to the French Polynesia in May '07 and what a long trip that was. However, I got a little bit of a break in LA which helped. You're becoming a world traveler and that is a good thing!
Beachgirl, I imagine there really is a difference. I don't know how often you hear it from people, but we hear a lot of comments about the "Caribbean is all the same". There are always going to be people that think place A is better that place B. I enjoy hearing other people talk about places that they have liked. Now I need to start looking at photo's of PSV. You're right, of course, that in the end it is all good. How blessed all of us on this forum are that we have been able to see so many wonderful places!
Kris, I hadn't heard anything about storms causing damage. Richard was telling us about that earthquake from several months ago and that stuff started moving on PI but because it was 1-2 miles underwater they were lucky and only lost one table. Will the snorkeling come back? If so, maybe we actually lucked out and will be better off when we return?
Old Feb 19th, 2008, 10:58 AM

Knowing,I totally agree about the long flights,we have looked at French Polynesia ourselves in the past and thought maybe we'd leave it a few years and do a RTW to reduce the long long flights.But i would certainly have gone this year with the current AA.com offer of 30000 aa miles to fly with Air Tahiti Nui until May from JFK.Unfortunately we used a lot of our AA miles to get to St Lucia and Mauritius is a long standing booking.Hopefully the offer will be back when i get a few more miles.I just can't get enough travel experiences and hopefully will retire in a couple of years and get that RTW trip sorted.
Beachgirl,like i said to Knowing earlier on this thread i will definitely be posting a report on our return Mid May,hopefully you both read the Africa Forums as i don't think it would quite fit in with Caribbean Forum.
Regards Keith

Old Feb 20th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Hi Keith,
The FP will still be there when you are ready. It is a beautiful part of the world. You settle into a beach chair and think out your strategy as to how you can stay forever.
For now, enjoy your upcoming trip and we'll look forward to reading about it when you return!