Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Restaurants near Hyatt (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/restaurants-near-hyatt-312971/)

ftw1004 May 2nd, 2003 08:43 AM

Restaurants near Hyatt

Can someone tell me what great restaurants are located within walking distance from the Aruba Hyatt Regency? Thanks!

Maureen May 2nd, 2003 10:39 AM

Just got back last month and stayed at the Radisson which is nearby. Some of our favorites from past trips:
LAGUNA FISHMARKET at the Radisson (fresh fish) by a lagoon- no reservations. Stripped bass with lemon butter sauce and red snapper with tropical sauce were very good. Moderate.
AMAZONIA-all you can eat. Waiters rotate around tables with different types of meat (beef, steak, chicken etc.) and will stop at your table only if your shaker is turned up green. Large salad bar and lots of fun. Reservations necessary. Expensive.
CAFE BACI at the Wyndham. Great italian food, no reservations. Fairly expensive for full dinners.
SALT AND PEPPER. I had tapas ($5.00 each) and husband had a red snapper special-both good. Esp. nice for a light dinner and inexpensive dining. No reservations.
PAGO PAGO at the Wyndham. Upscale restaurant with some exotic dishes and pianist playing soft tunes. Really liked the Tahitian baked shrimp. Expensive. Resevations necessary.
AMICI'S-good for coffee and dessert (few sandwiches offered).
SIMPLY FISH at the Marriott. Tables on the beach, limited fresh seafood selections. Moderate.
FISHES AND MORE-Arawak Mall/Plaza-located near Salt and Pepper. Reasonable prices for seafood. Filet Mignon and red snapper were good at $20 but portion was not huge.

Other restaurants we have not dined at were TEJAS DE BRAZIL (similar to Amazonia),
AQUA GRILL (seafood) fairly new, SBARRO'S for pizza etc. inexpensive, AZZURO'S italian food at the Playa Linda,
HOSTARIA D'VITTORIO italian dining-very expensive.
TANGO-specialize argentinian beef, have read that from posters that Ribs are very good. Tango dancers perform.
Ruinas Del Mar at the Hyatt is suppose to be very good and more upscale dining.
If you dine at other areas on the island taxis are readily available if you are not renting a car.
Highly recommend:
PASION BODEGA (European-Asian fusion) our favorite restaurant,
CHALET SUISSE, nice ambiance, food very good, expensive.
MADAME JANETTE-sit in patio with twinkling lights guitarist around 8:00 p.m. Moderate.
TABASKO'S- barbecue night on Monday and I believe Thursday-all you can eat $20 each sit on deck outside and live band performs soft rock.
GASPARITO'S for local cuisine--sit in patio of a cunucu house (request outside when reserving) Moderate.

jmg Aug 4th, 2003 07:51 AM

Just got back last night and also stayed at the Hyatt. Amazonia and Aqua Grill and Papiemento are all within walking distance. We ate at Amazonia which was one of our favorites second only to Madame Janettes which you have to take a cab to get to, but was the very best meal we had. Papiemento we heard people raving about, but never made it there. The Palms restaurant at the Hyatt has good food if you are looking for moderate. Also ate great Italian food and the best sunset view and views in general was at Tratoria el faro bianco at the California lighthouse. Be sure to make reservations in advance for all of these places and request a table outside. Sunset is usually around 7:00 so keep that in mind if you are eating at Tratoria...

snyder2338 Sep 13th, 2003 01:52 PM

You must try Ruinas Del Mar at the Hyatt. Sit outside, the atmosphere is great and the food was awesome.

We also tried Amazonia for a more casual dinner. If you love meat this is the place for you. I was not in a mood for buffet style when I was there so I didn't care for it so much but you definitely get to try lots.

nfahey Sep 30th, 2003 12:27 PM

We stayed at the Allegro/Occidental in July (next to the Hyatt) and we loved Flying Fishbones. It is located across the sreet from the resorts. Ver fresh seafood and it was prepared wonderfully.

In town I would highly reccomend El Gaucho's.

Have a great trip!

Nancy