Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   restaurant for large family on St. Thomas? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/restaurant-for-large-family-on-st-thomas-263757/)

Margaret Oct 6th, 2002 08:27 PM

restaurant for large family on St. Thomas?

My parents are taking us to St. Thomas in Feb. 2002 and we would like to take everyone to dinner one night to thank them. We will be 12 total, including kids, and while we would love to be lavish, we can't. Could any of you help with a fun (but remember, my parents will be with us. Not Love Shack!) place to eat that would run maybe $20-$30 per person total? We are staying at Sapphire Beach, and would like to be in that area of the island unless the trip is really worth it! Thanks so much!

Ronnie Oct 7th, 2002 04:09 AM

On the east end there are two that come to mind. The Caribbean Saloon, across from the Love Shack and Seafood Jungle, on the other side of the bay, all within a few minutes of Sapphire.<BR>Ronnie

BabsinAZ Oct 7th, 2002 11:03 AM

I would recommend Raffles at Compass Point, great food for adults and very accomodating for the kids. We enjoyed great fish and the kids had pasta. It isn't a very large restaurant so call in advance for reservations. Talk to them about the kids and what they like to eat, with notice, they can do anything.<BR><BR>Another idea, a little more casual, but great environment with kids is Bonnie's by the Sea. It is on the beach so the kids can play while you wait for your food, they also have various board games available to entertain them. Varied menu, but the Tropical Fish is delicious and I recommend the pasta side dish, vs potato or rice.<BR>Since it is outside, wear bug repellant or at least bring it.

denette Oct 8th, 2002 06:56 AM

Margaret,<BR>Raffles gets my vote, one of the most enjoyable meals, fantastic food, the chef even came out and visited with us, presentation wonderful, large enough to accommodate all of you, just call and get reservations, one night is open mike night or used to be and it was wonderful, local talent of all musical variety. It was one of the very best meals we had on island while we were down there. It is very easy to get to from Sapphire, that is where we stayed also. Safe Travel and wonderful family time.

Nazarene Oct 9th, 2002 02:33 PM

Margaret: Restaurant Azure is in the Sapphire Condos (by the pool behind the Marina) and has a lovely ambiance. If you called and talked to them, they could probably work out something for the group in your price range. BTW, Paul Newman ate dinner there last week- he was fishing with some friends for a few days and they stopped by. (He ordered steak). The kids could bring their suit and go swimming while everyone has coffee...

Billy Oct 9th, 2002 04:25 PM

Another thought would be Off the Hook (used to be Cafe Wahoo). A cool restuarant right on the water in Red Hook. A good place to go to watch the fishing boats come in. Most of the entrees are in the 16-26 dollar range. Great steaks, lobster and local fish.

Margaret Oct 30th, 2002 05:59 AM

Thanks to all of you! I think probably Raffles is right up our alley, and we'll certainly call ahead. Nazarene-- funny that you mention Paul Newman. He lives in the next town from us and our kids go to camp with his grandkids. Watching Joanne Woodward dance around with them at Sing-a-long was wonderful!

Margaret_in_CT Feb 4th, 2003 04:49 PM

Whoops! When I posted this question originally, I wrote the date incorrectly. We go this February break, which for us starts the 15th.If anyone has any new ideas, we'd love it, especially as we've heard that Raffles is now under new management. Thanks!!! -Margaret

gdpark Feb 4th, 2003 06:02 PM

Last time I was in STT., Ken Burns 9the documentary filn maker) &amp; entire family- about 10, including very young children,were at Cuzzins- Great place &amp; authentic caribbean cuisine. Not expensive, except maybe the cab fare depending on where you are staying.