Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

restaurant for casual rehearsal dinner in St. John

Jun 16th, 2008, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

I am getting married in St. John next year and looking to host a cocktail party the night before the wedding. It will be a Saturday night, and I want something islandy vs. formal, but not the Beach Bar kind of casual! We were thinking about Morgan's Mango, but I would appreciate any suggestions! We will be visiting this December and want to check a few places out before deciding.
Jun 17th, 2008, 05:53 PM

Since you haven't gotten any responses, I'll try to help. I'm really not much of a foodie, but I go to STJ frequently and keep up with things on a very regular basis. Since you will be checking things out before the event, I have a few suggestions. There is a new place that opened up in March called The Waterfront Bistro. It has gotten consistently good reviews and is in a prime location on the Beach in Cruz Bay right in Wharfside Village. A little more upscale but not stuffy and dress is still St John casual. Rhumblines has a little bit of an islandy atmosphere but the food is Thai/Caribbean and spicy. La Tapa is one our faves but is on a busy street, so not as nice an atmosphere as the others. The Lime Inn might also be worth looking into. The nice thing is, almost all of the restaurants have a menu outside that you can look at. La Tapa's menu changes on a daily basis. You might be able to work out a menu with them.
Jun 18th, 2008, 02:18 AM

Mango Morgan's could work for you and like Brenandg I like Lime Inn a lot. Depending on how large your party is you may need to not only make resservations but see if the restaurant can accomdate your size group. At the Westin they have a beach front, open air retaurant/bar, it's called Beach Cafe' and is very nice. We like the Waterfront Bistro but it could be noisy or not too rivate - if you're looking for some privacy. I'll be there in August and will see if anything new opens.
Jun 19th, 2008, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for your suggestions. We actually stayed at the Westin 2 years ago, so I am very familiar with the Beach Cafe, but for some reason didn't think of it, thanks for reminding me!

Just to be sure, Wharfside Village is where the Beach Bar is, correct? I have read about The Waterfront Bistro, but I'm having a difficult time placing it - is it near the Beach Bar?

Also, I understand Lime Inn is in Cruz Bay, but I am unsure where? Does it have ocean views by any chance?

Thanks again for your help!
Jun 19th, 2008, 04:39 PM

Yes, Wharfside Village is where The Beach Bar is located. The Waterfront Bistro is far enough down from it that I don't think it would be noisy. You might be able to hear the jazz band on Sundays from afar, but that might not necessarily be bad from a distance. The Balcony is also in the same vicinity at Wharfside and has nice views of Cruz Bay. We only had lunch there, but it was very good. The Lime Inn is pretty much in the heart of town and no water views.
Jun 19th, 2008, 04:49 PM

http://www.on-stjohn.com/2008/03/18/...unch/#comments

Here is a link to a picture and some reviews of The Waterfront Bistro when it first opened. This was when they were just serving lunch. They seem to have gotten the kinks ironed out over the last few months based on reviews. BTW, the attire is STJ casual contrary to what people initially thought. You probably can't place where it is because it is so new. It is in the space where Panini Beach used to be. They did quite the extensive renovation.
Jun 20th, 2008, 06:46 AM

Congrats deapaw!
What month are you getting married? I ask because we were there in September and it was the “low, low” season, meaning that most of the great restaurants I read about and wanted to try on this site were closed, including the Lime Inn. They close the first week of September and reopen in late October. Morgans Mango was open and we did do dinner there one night-we were literally the only people in the restaurant. Food was good, but I wasn’t too impressed with their margaritas (we went because it was margarita night). La Tapa was closed as well at that time. I would just check with the restaurant to make sure that they are open if you’ll be there in Sept/Oct. One good restaurant we ate at was the Ocean Grill inside Mongoose Junction. It would be very cute for a cocktail party-it’s lit with white “Christmas” lights, is very light and airy with open ceilings to the sky, and had great food. (again we were the only people there!). You could also look into Caneel with their beautiful stone buildings for food. Good luck!
Jun 23rd, 2008, 02:24 PM

The cocktail lounge at the main beach at Caneel would be nice . It is casual but not as casual as other cocktail lounges on st. john. And, the have a good food menu.