Search

Caribbean get away

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2014, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Caribbean get away

We are thinking about a week get away in December. So far our first choice is Bermuda. I know the ocean temps are around 75 degrees which is fine (we're used to the Pacific and the water temp on an unusally warm day would be 65 degrees).

But we may not be able to get a time share exchange so we are wondering what alternative Caribbean Island would work. We like museums, history, and are not fans of a place with lots of touristy attractions, lots of all-inclusive resorts, etc.

I've been to St. Barts (which I loved), and St. Maarteen which was nice, but not worth a second trip back.
Old May 19th, 2014, 01:10 PM

Bermuda is not in the Caribbean. I was in Bermuda during early June and the air temps could have a been a bit warmer for me, the water was not super warm, but swimmable. So for December, I'd say it might be too cold for swimming.

Almost all islands have museums and history. Do you know what choice of timeshares you can have? That might be a starting point.
Old May 19th, 2014, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I doubt Bermuda will be warm enough for swimming in December.
Puerto Rico is loaded with history and interesting places to visit.
Old May 19th, 2014, 02:36 PM

i would not go to bermuda in december. the water will be to cool for comfortable swimming and air temps will be chilly as well.

puerto rico has a lot of historical sites & some museums in 'old san juan', as well as nice beaches, warmer water & air temps. also el junque rain forest which has some interesting tours. it is easy to fly to which should be a consideration coming from the west coast & with only a week for travel time.

not as easy to get to are st. kitts & nevis. very nice resorts & a bit of history to enjoy. i mention them as you said you liked st. barts. you might enjoy ottley's plantation resort or nisbet plantation among others, as they are in historic buildings.

if you are going to use time share though we need to know which islands are options for you in order to give useful suggestions.
Old May 19th, 2014, 03:25 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Personally I would want to go farther south for an island vacation in December, to get warmer weather.
Old May 19th, 2014, 03:46 PM

Does it need to be an island that offers a time-share exchange? I love Grenada and could tell you more about it, but I'm not sure about the time-share opportunities there. Also, it can be hard to get to.
Old May 19th, 2014, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.

Yes islebethere, we would prefer to do a timeshare exchange (if possible).

I agree about the timeshare suggestions. We need to call them to find out what is available. But often people who have a timeshare may not put it up for exchange until the last minute so we will constantly be checking back with them from now up until the fall.

We don't mind the cooler outdoor & ocean temps so Bermuda is still a choice for us if we can get a time share exchange there.

I was just interested in other island choices in case this doesn't pan out (which it may not).

Will contact RCI within the next day or so and let you know which islands will be possibilities. Thanks so much.
Old May 20th, 2014, 01:51 AM

First order of business is finding out which properties are in exchange. I highly doubt Bermuda has one at all, no timeshares there come to mind.

Other islands might only have 1 or 2 properties. Those that do, for example, Turks and Caicos, has only 1 property with 1 building in exchange, and no one gives it up. When they do, it's a 3-5 wait list.

This will know down the properties quite a bit.

After that, you can figure out from islands left which has history or museums. At least a couple more islands will be knocked out.

And by nature of time share, you'll find most islands known for AI will also have timeshares in the exchange. They tend to go hand in hand, so you might want to get rid of that criteria. (timeshares don't usually work on islands that cant cater to masses, not enough visitors to generate)

After that, you're probably down to around 10 islands left to consider. Dominican Republic might work, as Santo Domingo is an old world city with tons of history. Most travelers go to Punta Cana which is about 2 hours away, but still doable. It is filled with AIs though.

Puerto Rico and Mexico might also fill your requirements.

The majority of "expensive" islands, including Bermuda, don't have timeshares or AIs.

Bermuda will be North Carolina chilly in December, meaning you'll need sweatshirts, long pants, sweaters. Not much beach time at all. It's gorgeous, great golf courses, some shopping. History is not enough to fill a week.
Old May 20th, 2014, 04:23 AM

I visit Bermuda for a week nearly every December. I love that time for a variety of reasons. It is less crowded ( no cruise ships), the weather is generally mild ( see weather.bm), and Bermudians love holidays ( fun activities and seasonal events). I don't swim in the ocean but do walk the beach ( without much company).
The only timeshare of which I have personal knowledge is the St. George's Club

http://www.stgeorgesclub.bm

Enjoy your trip wherever you choose.
Old May 20th, 2014, 05:08 AM

I have a timeshare(Aruba) and we go through RCI as well. Can't you go through there site and see what is available for your timeframe? It sounds like you want go to Bermuda and if going in the water is not high on your list it will be a good choice.

I know there is probably availability in Aruba if that interests you at all. We have gone in December and it was not considered the high season as of yet. Barbados comes to mind. Dominican Republic is usually always all/inclusive which is not an option for me. I also have been to St.Martin and once was probably enough for me as well. I agree with you on that.

We have been trying since January to trade our timeshare in Aruba this year for Barbados but so far no luck. (through RCI)I agree with going further South but if the cooler temps are not a concern Bermuda is a lovely place.
Old May 20th, 2014, 07:51 AM

nanabee, you really need to check the timeshare availability first. there's no sense in looking at every island in the Caribbean, if you want to use the timeshare. Start with that list first.
Old May 20th, 2014, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Hi cmcfong, We really wanted Bermuda for the reasons you've listed. The only timeshare availablity is St. George's but for the first week of Dec and we are going over the Xmas holiday. Bummer.

Thanks Suze, yes, good advice. I did mention that we >> Will contact RCI within the next day or so and let you know which islands will be possibilities. >>

I've done that and checking back! The only availablity is St. Thomas and the Blue Beard's Castle Pirate Pension hotel for the week we are going. So I guess my question (which I've posted separatly) is info on this resort and St. Thomas.
Old May 20th, 2014, 02:41 PM
Original Poster

virginia, blamona and schmerl, Puerto Rico has some time shares so if this one I mentioned above doesn't work out that might be another option. I've heard they have more historical tours, so we'd enjoy those.

diann - you brought up All Inclusive! Yikes I hate A-I and I forgot to ask. Thanks for mentioning it.
Old May 20th, 2014, 02:44 PM

Well St. Thomas wouldn't be my first choice for islands to visit, but it's kind of cute there, and if that's the only choice...