resort for Mom and 20 year old daughter

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1st, 2008, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interested in aresort for my dauhter and myself for a few days for her spring break 2nd week in March. Any suggestions on resort and activities.
Thanks Karen
Old Feb 1st, 2008, 07:21 PM

What are your interests, night life,dining, water sports, nature?
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 04:50 AM

What island??
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Hi not sure what island. My daughter likes historical sites, sightseeing, the beach and whatever is the culture of the island. I think providencials around grace bay might be nice. suggestions are welcome as we are just in the planning stage. We are in NY can fly from JFK La Guardia or Newark NJ. Any airlines recommended.
Thanks Karen
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 05:58 AM
EJC

Search Puerto Rico or Cancun
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 09:00 AM

I also think Puerto Rico is a good suggestion, especially if you are only going for a few days. It should be a direct flight. It has the history in Old San Juan (El Morro - fort), the culture is all over the island, you can visit El Yunque rain forest, and the beaches are nice.

I can't recommend a specific resort since we stayed abour 1 hour out of San Jauan at El Conquistador and I think you would want to be closer to San Juan and the beaches there.

Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 10:35 AM

How about Playa del Carmen, Mexico? You can go to Tulum to see the ruins. You can go to Xel Ha and go snorkeling, tubing, etc. for a fun day. There are day tours that combine those two places so you do not have to drive yourself. Shopping and restaurants are good in Playa. You could take the ferry over to Cozumel one day, rent a little car and go to the Chankanaab National Park for snorkeling and beach. Make sure to drive all the way around the island road and stop at the place with the little bar with hammocks on the beach. I think you could find plenty to do! My daugher is 21 and I know WE would have fun doing those things- my husband I went to Playa without her since she was away at college but she would have liked it.
Old Feb 2nd, 2008, 10:35 AM

hi endless, i love provo and think grace bay beach is the best, but the island does not have historical sites or sightseeing. great beach, good snorkel/diving. great restaurants.
i'll second the cancun idea, but would head south of town immed. it's a big city and may be jammed with other breakers. same on cozumel.
somewhere like playa del carmen (about 45 min drive)has lots going on or further south to akumal (another 20 mins) for a small town atmosphere. numerous ruins. tulum ruins are an easy day trip from anywhere cancun on south. you and dd could look at www.locogringo.com for great info on the area. jet blue, mexicana, and aa have non-stops.
another option is barbados. plenty of cultural and historical sights to keep you busy. nice beaches. a sort of british atmosphere. the town called the gap is where everything goes on. the beaches on the west side of the island are supposed to be best. air jamaica has a 5 hr flight down but i couldn't find any fast rides back in a quick search.
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 01:02 PM

I also agree with Mexico. Playa is a favorite of mine. You are close to everything and you can do as much or as little as you want. There are good AI resorts as well as great local hotels.