Renting/Driving a car in Ocho Rios?

Feb 12th, 2002, 11:56 AM
shel

Renting/Driving a car in Ocho Rios?

We would like to rent a car for a day and explore--just drive around and see what we find--as part of our trip next month. My husband thinks Jamaica isn't safe for this. I have no idea. We are good drivers--have driven all over Europe many times. Any opinions? Also, any suggestions of where to rent a car in Ocho Rios?

Feb 12th, 2002, 01:45 PM
elaine

Do not rent a car in Jamaica.
If you want to explore get a driver for a day.
It is not so much the island is not safe, it is the winding, narrow roads where the potholes are bigger that the cars, the maniac drivers and driving on the left.

Feb 12th, 2002, 05:48 PM
barry

You'll be fine. Rent a car and HAVE FUN.

Feb 13th, 2002, 01:35 AM
tivertonhouse

Driving the coast road (Ochie to Port Antonio/3 hours, Ochie to Falmouth/1 hour) is fairly easy, tho it won't give you the feeling of 'shunpiking it' and making those minor discoveries that will stay in your mind forever. Going back up into the mountains, to Browns town market, Christiana and Mandeville as well as the South Coast are more likely to yield the unusual. For a day trip, we recommend a driver/guide -- not just a car hire /taximan guy/by rote tourist guide but somebody who understands what you seek and can not only find it but also surround it with history and flavor. More importantly,
it's not the fact you're good drivers--it's the fact that many Jamaicans drive--on the left,mind you--like Greece, Albania and the Indy 500. And the roads are narrow, blind-sided,potholey and pretty rough going.
A track to the left that you'd ignore is always the course that leads to the serendipitous . Try Carolyn Barrett at [email protected], who covers the entire island

Feb 13th, 2002, 04:15 AM
xxx

I have also driven in Europe and on the left. You couldn't pay me enough to drive in Jamaica for all the reasons already mentioned.