Reload this Page >

Rental Car Insurance -- St. Martin

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 02:53 AM
Vanessa

We're going to St. Martin and are planning on renting a car for the week. We've been before and know about the safety precautions. What we can't remember (if we even had it last time)is if the rental car companies will accept the insurance from our credit card company or if we have take out the insurance from the rental car company? Any comments/experience?

Old Jun 9th, 2001, 03:37 AM
Karen

Check with your credit card company about covering you when you are outside the US. Credit card coverage does vary.

Old Jun 11th, 2001, 06:28 PM
Sue

Hi, <BR> <BR>Just returned ... checked with our credit card & insurance companies before we left. They covered everything except the liability portion, which was $30. <BR> <BR>Not sure if where you live makes a difference - we live in NY state.

Old Jun 12th, 2001, 01:26 AM
Chas

Also check for a specific type of vehicle. Most won't cover 4WD, since they are considered off-road vehicles.

Old Jun 13th, 2001, 05:38 PM
Vanessa

Did any of you book with Avis? Travel agent is suggesting we book with Avis and we can prepay everything here in Ontario Canada except the taxes.

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 06:38 AM
Chas

Vanessa: <BR> <BR>I've never used Avis there. We tend to use the smaller island rental companies. They tend to offer more personalized service. We like Unity the best. They have a setup where you can get a 1 year old car for one price or a 2-3 year old car for a lesser price. I can provide you with both an email address and/or a phone number if you want to compare. <BR> <BR>You can also check the WWW.TRAVELTALKONLINE.COM board to see other's impression of Avis. To be able to prepay may be could especially if this is your first trip there.

Old Jun 14th, 2001, 06:02 PM
Vanessa

Chas, yes, please do provide e-mail address. <BR> <BR>As well, someone has now recommended Paradise Car Rental to me. Anyone else have experience with them?

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 04:34 AM
Cheryl

I believe that American Express provides car insurance if you put car rental on their card ... however, be aware that card holder MUST be listed as the primary driver on the rental agreement. <BR> <BR>However, be sure to check out the "fine print" regarding rental car agreements and what would happen if you have an accident, even if you are covered with insurance through a credit card. Many times, the car rental agency policy specifically states that YOU will be responsible to settle any damages BEFORE you leave then island. This means that you will have to file a claim with the credit card insurance company and then they would reimburse you ... hopefully for the same amount of damages that the car rental agency assessed against your credit card. I found this to be the case when looking into this for car rental on Grand Cayman .... We decided it was not worth the headaches and lost vacation time that would occur if there was even a minor accident so we decided to get the extra insurance through the car rental company.

Old Jun 19th, 2001, 11:48 AM
al

the last thing you need on your vacation is any kind of rental car problem, so do yourself a favor and take the insurance, if for nothing else peace of mind. if you're covered with your credit card as well, that's even better. <BR> <BR>make sure you check the car over thoroughly and note EVERY dent, missing hubcap, etc. before driving it away.

Old Jun 20th, 2001, 05:32 PM
Sue

We rented with Alamo - they were fantastic! Most of the cars on St. Martin are not in the best of shape - the guys at Alamo circled the entire car when we did the pre-rental damage report. We were also warned about this form before going to the island. <BR> <BR>We heard good things about St. Louis rental as well. We went with Alamo because our travel agency, Liberty Travel, backed them up. <BR> <BR>They were very helpful and flexible, and seemed to really go out of their way. For instance, we had a coupon for an island tour on any Friday. Well, we were there on Good Friday and the tour office was closed. When we mentioned this to the folks at Alamo, one of their employees volunteered to come in on the holiday and give us a tour of the island. It was terrific! <BR> <BR>I will tell you, the only mistake we made was staying at LeFlamboyant. They had recently reopened after the last hurricane, and it was a nightmare! <BR> <BR>Saw lots of nice, nice places there - we just happened to be at the worst hotel on the island. Liberty has been great - got us a partial refund on the hotel! Liberty has also stated that they are black-balling this hotel - telling the other travel agencies about it. <BR> <BR>If you have any other questions, feel free to email me. <BR> <BR>Have fun! It's a great island!