Search

Rent a car in Punta Cana?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2023, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rent a car in Punta Cana?

Hello!
Planning to stay at an AI in Punta Cana for our anniversary. Then, would like to travel to, and fly out of, Santo Domingo. We are an older couple. 1) Is DR a safe place to drive a rent-a-car? 2) If renting a car, looking for a company that will drop the car off at the AI rather than having to return to Punta Cana airport for car pickup, suggestions? Have thought a rent a car might be a better option, as have discovered getting a one way tour or private driver from Punta Cana to Santo Domingo is very expensive. More expensive than a rent-a-car. Also, have not found one willing to take our luggage and drop us off in Santo Domingo. 3) Please let me know if there are reasonable suggestions for drivers or tours with drop-offs w/luggage from Punta Cana to Santo Domingo, as opposed to renting a car. Thank you.
Old Mar 30th, 2023, 02:11 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I have only been to the Dominican Republic twice and many moons ago. I would hire a driver (unless you are familiar with driving in Spanish speaking places &/or Caribbean islands),

Hopefully others will chime in with better current info for you. But car rental in a place I don't speak the language and am not familiar with always just seems like a real bad idea to me (my experience of non-rental is mostly Mexico).

Buena suerte, suze
Old Mar 30th, 2023, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply. I really appreciate your advice!

Assuming we use this valuable information and, we do not rent a car, then, based on my initial post, I am still interested in hearing from people who may have a more reasonable way to get from Punta Cana to Santo Domingo.
I do know about the $8.00 bus, but transfers at both ends with luggage make this a difficult option. I also read that Uber drivers will always insist on more money to get you there, after showing up, based on the initial Uber rate.

Thank you.
Old Apr 1st, 2023, 09:36 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Unfortunately not that many people post on this Caribbean forum. You might also check the Destination Forum for the Dominican Republic over on Trip Advisor.

Remembering, actually I did take the bus once when we arrived Santo Domingo but decided to go up to Puerta Plata instead. The hotel we were at the first night or two helped us figure out how to do it. Second trip I flew into Puerta Plata and stayed in Sosua so taxis got us around.

Hopefully others will eventually chime in here
Old Apr 4th, 2023, 04:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Suze,

I will try the other thread you mentioned. I, too, would appreciate any others who may choose to chime in.

Since Uber seems more affordable, it would also be very helpful to hear if anyone else had experienced Uber drivers in DR demanding more money after agreeing to an initial posted rate. I read this on someone's local site.
Thanks again!