Rent a car for a day or two on grand caymen?

Jan 10th, 2008, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Rent a car for a day or two on grand caymen?

Would it be better to rent a car , take a taxi or take public transportaion to sites on Grand Caymen? Three of us travelling together and only may need transportation 2 of the 4 days to sites from Westin. Can you rent a car nearby the Westin for just 2 days?

Jan 11th, 2008, 05:18 AM

If you are just going into Georgetown for shopping, taxi should be fine. If you plan on doing more (the Botanical Gardens, the East End, Turtle Farm, Hell, etc.) rent a car for a day or two. I'm sure someone at the Westin can arrange this for you.
Jan 11th, 2008, 05:56 AM

You can easily take public buses around Seven Mile Beach and Georgetown. You only need the car to go further afield, so having it for just a day or two would be fine.
Jan 11th, 2008, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

If you rent a car in Grand Cayman, is parking an issue on the island ?
Also ,if you wait until you get there to rent a car will availbility be a problem for just 2 days?
We were in St John where parking in town was difficult. We also were unable to rent a car last minute due to limited availability.
Jan 24th, 2008, 06:30 PM

Renting a car is the best idea for those few days. The taxi rates have only just been raised, and people were finding them expensive as they were. Parking is no problem at all for 99% of the time. The only place where it can be difficult is the centre of town in office hours. Not only are you dealing with office workers' parked cars, you've also got cruise ship passengers walking around. That being said, if you're willing to walk for a couple of minutes, you'll find parking on the outskirts with relative ease. There is no metered parking - just avoid office lots as you will be clamped.

I would recommend renting from Andy's Rent-A-Car, a local company. I live in Grand Cayman and they're the only company I ever use. They have consistently low rates, and a convenient location on Seven Mile Beach road, about twenty minutes' walk from the Westin. We are in peak season at the moment. I would call them about availability and make a reservation to give yourself the most options. (345) 949-8111.
Jan 25th, 2008, 05:31 AM

You can rent a car from Avis in the lobby of the Westin. When you reserve online you first select Seven Mile Beach as your location. After that you will be given a list of choices on Seven Mile Beach from which to select - pick the Westin location.

We rented from Avis while staying at the Marriott. The price was probably more than Andy's but the convenience factor of doing it from our hotel lobby was great.
Jan 29th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the information on renting car.