Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Rendezvous St. Lucia, or Paradisius, D.R.?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 08:49 AM
rachel

Should we go to St. Lucia or Dominican Rep?

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 08:55 AM
Nancy

Two pretty different places. <BR>We stayed at Rendevous 11 years ago when it was Couples and we found it to be pretty bad for the $$$.<BR>What activities/sights would you like?<BR>DR is less expensive and has gorgeous Punta Cana and you can get to it pretty fast and less expensively.<BR>St Lucia has awesome diving/snorkeling and beautiful scenery, but no white sand beaches and turquoise waters...It's tough to get to and flights are expensive.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 12:01 PM
GM

Rendezvous needs some MAJOR rennovations and I agree with Nancy, NOT worth the $ value. Stay away from Rendezvous (was there 2001; I'm sure it was great 11 years ago when Couples was there).<BR><BR>LeSport (sister resort to Rendezvous) in St. Lucia we love, and I've heard many good things about Jalousie Hilton in the So. of St. Lucia.<BR><BR>I hear that Punta Cana in the DR, as Nancy noted, is a good value for the $ and pretty new, so you might want to check into it.<BR><BR>Hope this helps.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 12:43 PM
anon

Dissing the rendezvous again.<BR><BR>We stayed there earlier on this year and could not fault it.<BR><BR>Have a look at wheretostay.com there are a lot of reviews there. Post 2001 not too good but 2001 - 02 there are excellent reviews.<BR><BR>I wouldn't say it needed MAJOR refurbishment. Maybe the garden view rooms could do with a bit of an overhaul but The luxury oceanfront rooms sure as hell don't.<BR><BR>Sorry can't comment on DR as it doesn't appeal to me and I'm not dissing something I don't know.<BR><BR>Whatever you decide on have a great time.

Old Oct 8th, 2002, 01:48 PM
debbie

hi, i have never been to St Lucia but we did stay at the Paradisus last March in Punta Cana and had a great time. We were very surprised and would return. You can read my report on www.concierge.com under travelogs - user name checkers43.