Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Rendezvous Bay Hotel or Cocoloba Resort, Anguilla? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/rendezvous-bay-hotel-or-cocoloba-resort-anguilla-376050/)

jillandben Nov 13th, 2003 11:36 AM

Rendezvous Bay Hotel or Cocoloba Resort, Anguilla?

Which one would you choose?

We are planning our honeymoon for February and looking for nice, yet affordable accomodations with a good beach in walking distance to restaurants. Thanks!

dee7493 Nov 13th, 2003 03:17 PM

I just read today that Rendezvous Bay has renovated their rooms w/ photo. Looks very very nice.
Do not know about Cocoloba though, I think in recent past changed ownership - used to cater to clientele from Italy.

Carola22 Nov 13th, 2003 10:34 PM

This summer when we were on Anguilla, we checked out both Rendezvous Bay and Coccoloba. Coccoloba seemed VERY empty, (although the few staff that we saw was friendly). The dining room was huge and completely empty - we thought about having dinner there but changed our mind; it felt a bit spooky with all those empty places.
We really liked Rendezvous Bay. We had dinner at their restaurant twice and it was great. Excellent service, very nice and thoughtful manager who seems to make a real effort. He showed us around some of the renovated rooms of which he was really proud (without being at all pushy about it). The upshot is that we decided, and have already booked, to stay at Rendezvous next summer. We also really liked the location, right on the sheltered end of Rendezvous Bay Beach, one of Anguilla's best beaches. The rooms are basic but light and spacious. But of course, we'll have to see how it works out next summer! Hope this helps you a bit.

Carola22 Nov 13th, 2003 10:38 PM

Small addition to my previous post: the rooms we saw at Rendezvous were in the 'villas', which are newer and right on the beach - there is also the original hotel which is cheaper but not as nice from what I've heard. So I would recommend staying at one of the villas.

OT Nov 13th, 2003 11:10 PM

Have not stayed on any of these properties, but have been to Anguilla many times so know the island fairly well.

Cocoloba Resort has had a lots changes to owners and management over the years. Rendevouz Bay has had the same owners since they started sometimes in the 1950's, from what I have read and heard, Bart the manager, is doing a fantastic job. I have read lots of very good reports about the place, and would not hesitate to stay at Rendevouz Bay Hotel myself. The beach is one of the best on Anguilla and I would go for a room in one of the villas.

However, I would recommend to rent a small car/jeep. Anguilla is a great place to explore, and restaurants are not within walking distance. Taxis are expensive but cars can be rented for approx $45 - $55 per day.

You can also find more information by looking into the caribbean-on-line.com (anguilla forum) and the forum on anguillian.com . Lots of enthusiastic Anguillaphiles, and you will find the answer for most of our questions. Also lots of info on news.ai

have fun planning!

jillandben Nov 14th, 2003 02:43 PM

A big "thank you" for all your help. We've decided on Rendezvous!!! Can't wait!