Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Renaissance or Marriott Frenchman's Reef (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/renaissance-or-marriott-frenchmans-reef-263416/)

tom Oct 4th, 2002 11:41 PM

Renaissance or Marriott Frenchman's Reef

We are a family of four with teens who like good beaches and nightlife. I'm concerned about the quality and distance of the beach at the Marriot from Frenchman's Reefand have also heard bad things about the quality of the hotel at Renaissance. Any advice?

Diane Oct 5th, 2002 03:28 AM

I love the Mariott Frenchman's Reef/ Morningstar . Although I prefer Morningstar, your kids may prefer the Reef because there is more 'action' there; however the tennis courts are closer to Morningstar. The beach, also at Morningstar is lovely, There is a gentle surf that literally, but gently picks you off your feet. At the far end there is some good snorkeling by the rocks.<BR><BR>The Reef, located high on a cliff offers outstanding views, along with two connecting pools, one with a swim-up bar. Poolside is a great place for lunch with its outstaanding views and wonderful sea breeze. A number of nice shops are also located there. The gift shop has nice afordable items to moffer<BR><BR>Morningstar's pool has a couple of fountains and is located adjoining the beach. There is also a great deli with tables overlooking the sea.<BR><BR>There is also a water taxi that gives you a lovely transport into Charlotte Amalie.<BR><BR>I have not seen or had any experience with the Renaissance.<BR><BR>Have a great trip.

tom Oct 5th, 2002 05:21 AM

Thanks for the report. Anyone on the Renassaince?

GM Oct 6th, 2002 08:03 PM

We went to the Renaissance this year. Altho we are childfree, if we DID have teens I would not stay at the Renaissance. It is too quiet for the teens, and too far from Charlotte Amalie for nightlife. The closest night life is at Red Hook, and I don't recommend Red Hook for teens; 21+ maybe.<BR><BR>I ditto what Diane noted; the Hotel is more condusive to families and we like Morningstar ourselves better cause it is quieter. She mentioned everything I would've re: the beach, water taxi, etc., so I have nothing to add - she covered it except that there's a deli mart in the hotel that's great for the teens/kids, cause they can get the snacks or sandwiches they're used to in the U.S. if they don't want to order from the restaurants.<BR><BR>P.S. The Renaissance's quality is OK, I wouldn't do dinner there all the time and it's not the best beach in the world but it IS on the Caribbean side compared to the Atlantic side where Frenchman's / Morningstar is. The Renaissance claims that it has an excellent Sunday brunch - it's MUCH better at Frenchman's Reef. We liked Renaissance better this year for going to the BVI and St. John; closer in proximity to those islands. Hope this helps; have a great time.

Jasmine Oct 6th, 2002 08:09 PM

Where are we?

tom Oct 7th, 2002 07:44 AM

Thanks that's very helpful. Can the kids go out on their own in Charlotte Amalie? I hear the crime is very bad. Should they stick to the hotel?

Don Oct 7th, 2002 07:52 AM

Kids (under 21) should NOT go to CA alone at night! Red Hook is a better bet if they feel the need to leave the grounds...there really is plenty for them to do at the Marriott complex...they have a bar with pool tables and munchies as well as Cocco Joe's which has music at night...CA is not a good idea at night (except for a few restaurants)...CA is mostly about shopping and then only during the day...