Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Reef or Rum Point (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/reef-or-rum-point-681045/)

lro1012 Feb 19th, 2007 03:08 AM

Reef or Rum Point

My daughter is getting married in the Cayman Islands in May and is trying to narrow down where they want to spend their honeymoon. They want to be someplace secluded but not that secluded. They want restaurants, groceries, etc. close by. They are considering Rum Point (The Retreat) or The Reef. Any ideas as to which area would be best for them? Thanks.

ScottB Feb 19th, 2007 05:52 AM

If you want to be close to a variety of restaurants, grocery, and maybe some activities, then you might want to consider Seven Mile Beach.

Yes, it has some very conjested areas, but if you look at the resorts & condos located at the northern end of 7MB, you will find the seclusion you are looking for, as well as being close to many amenities.

Both Rum Point & The Reef are nice areas, but quite isolated. So your daughter needs to make a decision on how much seclusion she needs. Both of those locations are in the middle of nowhere.

lro1012 Feb 19th, 2007 06:19 AM

Can you recommend a nice resort on the northern end of 7 mile beach?

ScottB Feb 19th, 2007 09:48 AM

There are several, I would take a look at Aqua Bay, London House, Heritage Club.

Check out www.caymanvacations.com
This site will show the places I've suggested along with others. The site will provide pictures, rates, etc.

Hope this helps......

RandyK Feb 19th, 2007 12:32 PM

We've stayed at Aqua Bay, Discovery Point and Anchorage (Anchorage was pre-Ivan). North 7 Mile Beach is nice---we've been there 10 times (11 with next month's visit) and while West Bay Road can be very busy, the beaches are never crowded. Check out Lacovia---it's always looked nice. All of these condos have lots of amenities on the property along with daily maid service. They're not a Ritz but very comfortable if you want a quiet, well-located week or two on the beach!

ReefRat Feb 19th, 2007 01:09 PM

I think The Reef is what they are looking for. We use to stay on SMB but not anymore. Every year we always see a few honeymooner while we are at The Reef.

fernlover Feb 19th, 2007 02:41 PM

Been to Caymans twice. My vote is for Rum Point. When we visited, i insisted that we travel everyday from SMB over to Rum Point to enjoy the calm atmosphere. The Reef Resort is on the East Coast and can be very windy, and it is really in the middle of nowhere. I have friends who stayed at Moritt's Tortuga, also East Coast, and they said they wouldn't go back to that area. The Rum Point area is very laid back, with hammocks, large trees for shade, just a beautiful setting. The Reef Resort does have its supporters, but it is mostly a family oriented timeshare facility.The beach is nothing to talk about either, but supposedly it does have good snorkeling.They will have to drive a bit to get to a really good restaurant, regardless of which of the two they decide on.

anonxx Feb 19th, 2007 06:54 PM

People have mentioned two of our favorite places in Grand Cayman, the Reef Resort and the London House. Both are great, depending on what you are looking at. We prefer the Reef Resort over the London House because of the beach bar, the dive shop, tennis courts and better snorkeling. The London House has a better swimming beach, hammocks, but not near as nice of pools and there is nothing to do nearby without a car. (no bar, restaurant or evening entertainment) If you want pictures of our recent stay at the Reef Resort, let me know and I will email some pics of the beach and resort. You'll see that the beach is lovely, long and deep, it just isn't as good for swimming. I love both the north end of 7MB and the Reef Resort for different reasons. We stayed at the south end of 7MB once, and didn't return due to the congestion and less of an island feel. I also second the recommendation to check out caymanvacations.com for info on properties, we had good luck using them.