Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
REC's 4 Low Key, Not Expensive , Great Snorkeling/Diving/Boating/Fishing

My husband and I are looking for a place for end May/Early June. We would like:
* Low key place (not touristy)
* Good/Great snorkeling (and or great)
* Good fishing would be a plus
* Ability to rent a small boat and do our own thing
* Some restaurants nearby (but we will get a rental place and cook too, so groceries available and reasonable)
* Reasonable housing (vacation rental is great but open to other ideas)

We need to consider airfare from ATL to where ever and overall cost.

Celebrating our 25th and open to all suggestions and recommendations on DESTINATION & if you have other input on a great rental, things to do etc. that's always a bonus!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by WendyJackson123; Feb 17th, 2018 at 02:54 PM.
Old Feb 17th, 2018, 04:32 PM

Since budget seems to be a main priority it would help if you gave us some idea of how much you are willing to spend. Terms like “reasonable” and “not expensive” are meaningless without a dollar point of reference.

In the meantime you might want to look at Cape Santa Maria on Long Island in the Bahamas. It ticks off most of the items on your wish list.
Old Feb 18th, 2018, 06:55 PM

You might also look at direct flights ATL to Georgetown, Bahamas on Great Exuma.... can rent a small boat from Minn's to explore a bit, beaching, snorkeling, markets and restaurants, laid back and low key place- check vrbo.com or for apts, condo, small hotels to meet budget
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

We are not on a fixed budget, but I do know some places are "trendier" than others and we aren't interested in that. We are mostly interested in beautiful water, snorkeling, renting a boat and puttering around. Would like to have some restaurants to walk to etc, but not interested in serious nightlife. Given there are so many choices, we would like to pick a place that is more budget-friendly as we can enjoy our stay most anywhere!

Thank you in advance!
Old Feb 19th, 2018, 04:22 PM

Ambergris Caye, Belize and Roatan fit your requirements.
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 03:54 AM

Guadeloupe might fit your requirements unless you are uncomfortable with a French speaking island. AF & DL fly direct from ATL.

It is a lowkey island, great supermarkets selling French produce, lowkey accommodations, great beaches, lowkey restaurants. Area around Deshaies is particularly beautiful. Plenty of snorkel sites.

Guadeloupe Antilles Info Tourisme, Guadeloupe tourist information, rentals hotels in Guadeloupe, accommodation,yacht charters,car rentals,tourist sites,French West Indies
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 07:50 AM

Long Island

Look farther down island around Clarence Town. Imo.
Old Feb 20th, 2018, 12:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Negril Jamaica? You can fly nonstop to Montego Bay from Atlanta. Then it's 90-mins. by shuttle out to Negri, which is low-key and reasonably priced.
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 04:16 AM
Original Poster

These are all GREAT suggestions by everyone! Saving all of them for future trips!

Has anyone been to Eleuthera?

Does this fit the bill?
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 04:29 AM

Eleuthera

We have been to Eleuthera. Yes, I think it would tick most of your list except your exploring would require a car rental and I am not sure about boat rental. I think you might want to look in the general vicinity of Governors Harbour for a rental home- plenty to choose from- which would give you restaurants, grocery stores, etc.
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 04:35 AM

Boat

To clarify: I am not sure there are many people who rent boats on the island. The Abacos or Exumas are better for exploring in small boats.

have you considered Black Point or Staniel Cay in the Exumas or Green Turtle Cay in the Abacos? Boating, snorkeling, fishing... no car needed, maybe a golf cart.
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 04:47 AM

Agree. Eleuthera is awesome and fits your other criteria but not really a boating destination. If boating is a priority I would look into Abacos (Hopetown, Great Guana Cay or Green Turtle) or Exuma.
Vacation rentals will be cheaper on Eleuthera and Exuma as compared to Hopetown.
Old Feb 21st, 2018, 05:39 AM

Agree with mnag mostly but want to point out:

Rental boats are much more widely available in the Abacos than in the Exumas, with a few exceptions. Also, rental properties on Elbow Cay, where the Hopetown settlement is located, are more to much more expensive than properties on GTC. I prefer GTC to Hopetown these days because it is less touristy and maintains so much of its "real Bahamas" local charm and history. Hopetown was my "first love" in the out islands about 30 years ago but it has gotten to busy for me now.

In the Exumas the Staniel Yacht Club has package plans for the cottage with a boat included which is a good deal; however, these days they book up almost a year in advance so your chance of getting a cancellation for May or June are pretty slim. There are houses to rent on the island and boats to rent but the price can add up quickly.

My very best suggestion is this- check this website for cottages on Guana Cay, Exuma with a package deal including a rental boat. Exuma Vacations I have not stayed there but have seen it on a day trip from SC- it is about 4 or 5 miles from SC. Raymond (Breadboy) who owns them is a great guide who can show you the waters in the area and take you to good snorkeling, fishing, etc.- very nice guy, we went out with him on a day trip a few years ago.

Lastly, you will have fewer grocery or restaurant options in that area of the Exuma cays than in the Abacos but the indescribably gorgeous blue water of the Exumas coupled with the very large area which you can explore by boat makes it unbeatable in my opinion.
Happy travels!!! Feel free to PM if I can help.
Old Mar 8th, 2018, 06:19 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
We loved The Buccaneer resort on St Croix. Very low-key, great service, fantastic breakfast buffet, snorkeling to Buck Island from the hotel, . . .
Old Mar 9th, 2018, 01:30 AM

Budget friendly still doesn’t help!

caribbean overall is expensive, so budget friendly could mean 3 times what you’re use to.

So $ amount range to help you better