Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Recommendations on Where to Go In the Carribean?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 01:35 PM
Dave

We are a professional couple in our early 30's looking for a beautiful beach (soft sand, clear water, and calm surf) and intimate resort to relax on for a week in February (no high rises). We would prefer to stay away from the Americanized, crowded, commercial and touristy destinations although we don't need to be completely secluded (some nightlife would be nice). We don't need a whole lot else. An island to explore with a little culture (local culture/community, renting a jeep, hiking, scuba diving) would be nice but not a necessity. Something affordable ($250 rooms per night) would be ideal. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions.

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 03:50 AM
Gail

The problem with Eleuthra is it's not real warm in February. You might want to go further south. Try Antigua, Anguilla, Barbados,St. John, Tortola--there a loads of beautiful islands out there.

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 07:23 AM
Sally

We are planning to go to Anguilla this summer for the first time - we are a couple in our 40's looking for peace and quiet above all, as well as a beautiful beach, nice accommodations, good restaurants and friendly people. Anguilla seems to have it all. As far as I can tell, these also seem to be the things you're looking for, with the exception of nightlife (I don't think there's much). You might want to look into it, there is a nice Anguilla forum on Caribbean-on-line.

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 07:58 AM
vlouisv

Anguilla would indeed seem to fit the bill, although you'll not find hiking or much nightlife to speak of. Of course, both can be found on St. Martin, just a 20 minute ferry ride away.

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 08:08 AM
tivertonhouse

On the west coast of Puerto Rico in Rincon,THE HORNED DORSET PRIMAVERA fits your wishlist rather well. You can fly in from San Juan, leaving the tourists behind. CULEBRA and VIEQUES also worth investigating....

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 09:17 AM
Jim

Antigua would be a great choice. Try either Galleon Beach Club in the south of the island or Barrymore Beach Club in the north.

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 05:23 AM
carribean traveller

St. Lucia fits your bill. Go to windjammer. Guests are 1/3 European, 1/3 Canadian, 1/3 US. No tacky tourists here. windjammer is great value for the $$. It has all you mentioned. Anguilla will have much better beaches, but lacks the lush mountains. Pricier too.

Old Dec 12th, 2001, 08:41 AM
Gilbert

Hi<BR>you can go to St Bart<BR>It's a very quiet island, whith very good frensh food.<BR>I know St Bart very well and if you want some good adress for ressort contact me<BR>Bye

Old Dec 13th, 2001, 05:51 AM
lisa

I would strongly recommend St. Lucia, specifically the area on the southwest side of the island around the Pitons near Soufriere. Gorgeous! We stayed at a small resort called Ladera which is breathtaking and fits your description -- very intimate (only around 25 rooms) and unique, as all rooms are open-air (one wall is missing). There is great snorkeling and scuba at another nearby resort called Anse Chastanet which is another option -- a bit larger than Ladera but still very small. However, you don't need to stay at Anse Chastanet to use their beach & dive shop. There is also a Hilton nearby with a gorgeous beach, but it is much larger (although not a high-rise by any means), which sounds like it may not be what you're looking for. Prices at all of these places are high, but you can get packages that bring the cost down. I know that the regular rates for the least expensive rooms at Ladera are around $215-240 -- we stayed in one of those rooms and it was great, with a personal plunge pool in the room, a loft-style bedroom, and amazing views. Check out www.ladera-resort.com for more, or www.ansechastanet.com, or www.jalousie-hilton.com. I have recently seen package deals advertised in the newspaper at all of these places that bring the cost down significantly. There is not a whole lot in the way of nightlife in this area, but some good restaurants, great hiking in the rainforest, lots of waterfalls, etc.

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 11:53 AM
Katfish

I must disagree about St. Lucia. While the island IS beautiful,it was a long flight for thoroughly average diving (they make you count your checkout dive as one of your paid- dives - a VERY chintzy thing to do), horrible roads, ( if you can drive in and out of Anse Chastenet withough chipping a tooth, I'll buy you a drink!), and less than friendly locals. We stayed at an amazing place, Stonefield, but the food was only so so. <BR><BR>If Exuma is warm enough in February, check it out. <BR><BR>Or, what about Bonaire? Endless shore diving, laid back, and beautiful.

Old Dec 27th, 2001, 04:04 PM
Penney

I would also suggest theout islands of the Bahamas. So much to explore and very private without all the crowds.<BR><BR>Also St. Kitts - it is ne of the most beautiful islands we have been to - very lush and green and prestine - truely beautiful and mountainous. It is a more laid back island - not alot of people, smaller resorts. beautiful beaches, small but adorable town.