Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Recommendations for Summer Caribbean Travel for Couple

Mar 21st, 1997, 10:32 AM
Candice Waldron

I am looking for a summer Caribbean destination. A nice, warm, friendly place to spend a week diving, running, waterskiing and relaxing. We are looking for a quiet vaction spot with a nearby, cultural town that we can explore and sightsee. Any recommendations?

Mar 21st, 1997, 01:34 PM
caroline

Barbados is a good choice in the summer. The beaches are terrific and the people are incredibly friendly. In addition, the island has a very rich cultural history that can be felt no matter what you're doing, so if you get tired of the sun (at least for an afternoon) and want to travel around the island, it's a terrific place to see.

Mar 21st, 1997, 02:01 PM
Jean E. Bowers

Last May I took a Windjammer Cruise and visited some of the greatest islands. We started out in St. Maarten, and went to Nevis, St. Kitts, St. Barts and Anguilla. These Islands are very close and they have ferry service from island to island. On St. Kitts there is an old fortress Brimstone Hill. Several rooms within the fort have been turned into a museum. It is hard to emagine wearing wool clothing in this climate. From the gun mounts you can see several islands. St. Kitts has a great place to visit where they make batik fabric, or rather where they draw designs on fabric with wax and then do one of several dye processes. Nevis has several hotels that were sugar plantations located up in the hills overlooking the caribbean, beautiful scenery, and very nice people.

Apr 8th, 1997, 02:40 PM
Irene

We were in Barbados about a year and a half ago. It was wonderful. We were married there and stayed for 14 days. We rented a house with a staff which was a great experience. The people were wonderful and very friendly. The price of the house was very reasonable for the size and the privacy. It was directly on the beach and it was on the caribbean side.

The caribbean side is a lot calmer. The atlantic side is rough but very pretty... There are many things to do in Barbados and the snorkeling is wonderful.. We were there in May and the water was beautiful.

I will post another message with the house information in case you are interested.

One of the greatest things about Barbados was that the water was drinkable from the tap. The food was delicious plenty of seafood and plenty of great bajan cuisine...

May 1st, 1997, 05:07 PM
JRyan

I am a teacher so my husband and I have to do the
najority of our traveling in the summer. The
Caribbean is great for this, because the rates are so low and the people mass is as well. I would echo Barbados and add Tobago (where we are going this June), St. Kitts (where you can hop to Nevis for the day), and add St. Martin (Grand Case Beach Club on the French side) where you can get to Anguilla, Saba, or St. Barts for day trips. Or just start off on Anguilla--the most beautiful white sand beaches--especially on Shoal Bay (not Shoal Bay West). Also check out the Bahamas--such as the Turks and Caicos. Beautiful beaches!