Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Recommendations for Caribbean Getaway from New York (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/recommendations-for-caribbean-getaway-from-new-york-1036492/)

mikster Feb 4th, 2015 09:00 AM

Recommendations for Caribbean Getaway from New York

Hello fodorites....my husband and I are switching plans for March and looking for a four or five day direct flight escape to the Caribbean. Hoping not to fly more than four hours and would like to stay on the beach and have a nice pool if possible. Just want something relaxing. We love the Cayman Islands but doing that another time...having said that, we are used to that type of beach so anything too far below that is difficult. We have been to Anguilla and Turks....anyone have any thoughts about Anguilla or Aruba or anything else? What about Tulum or other places not far from Cancun? Anyone been and have suggestions? We are in our 50's and just want to chill on the beach. Night life is not at all necessary. Thanks.

RoamsAround Feb 4th, 2015 11:06 AM

Aruba is a 5 hour flight from NYC so that doesn't meet your 4 hour travel time desire. It's also a very "Americanized" island with an abundance of high rise hotels/resorts and a very active nightlife so it may not be what you want.

Anguilla has fabulous beaches which I'm sure you remember from your last visit. Since you've already been there I'm not sure I (or anyone else) can offer and "thoughts" that you don't already know from your past experience. One thing, though, but you can't get there non-stop or direct from NYC - you have to fly to San Juan and take a connecting flight or fly to St. Martin and take a short island hopper flight, water taxi or ferry to reach Anguilla.

I'm not an expert on Tulum (having been there only once for a day stop) but can tell you it's about a 4 1/2 flight from NYC (to Cancun) plus the 1 1/2 hour drive from Cancun so your travel time exceeds your 4 hour self-imposed limitation.

You tagged your post "Antigua & Barbuda so I'll comment on those islands. Barbuda will definitely have the beaches you craved (15+ miles of white and pink sand beaches just on the Caribbean side alone. There's only a couple of resorts and a few guest houses. It's difficult to reach as you'll first have to fly into Antigua than take an island hopper flight to Barbuda. Schedules might be such that getting there entails an overnight stay in Antigua. Consider Barbuda if you truly want to "get away from it all".

As for Antigua, it may meet your all requirements - 4 hour flight from NYC, numerous resorts in all price ranges, 365 light golden sand beaches (but none as "long" as the ones you found on Grand Cayman, the T&C's and Anguilla). It's easy to avoid the islands "nightlife" so that shouldn't be an issue. It's a good island for "chilling on the beach" which is what you are seeking.

Hope this helps.

blamona Feb 4th, 2015 12:47 PM

March is US and Canadian spring breaks, and many islands are sold out already!

So you might want to go to a booking sight (expedia for example) see whats left, then come back and ask us

If not, we might suggest tons of things not available at this juncture....

(I'm already selling out for next peak season!)

mikster Feb 4th, 2015 12:57 PM

Thank you. We are actually already booked to go to Buenos Aires but in the dead of winter here in NY having more dreams of Caribbean and less dreams about a 12 hour flight...on the other hand, the BA trip is all booked and we may not get there again. Will see and thank you. This should be everyone's biggest problem if you know what I mean.