Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Recommendation for All-Inclusive Family Resort with an 18 yr old son?

Old Aug 29th, 2004, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be taking our last March break vacation with our teenage son, who is a senior in highschool and leaves for college in a year. We're looking for an all-inclusive with plenty to do for him (he loves SCUBA, watersports, water parks, etc.) along with very nice accommodations, food, beaches, fitness center and golf. Money isn't much of an issue. Can anyone recommend someplace? I started looking at Atlantis but have seen quite a few negative posts both about the crowds during spring break (we'd be traveling the week of March 6), activities for adults and teens, etc. I appreciate any and all suggestions.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 04:09 PM

you might want to try all-inclusive,
Iberostar (stayed there with our teenager). www.iberostar.com
They are in Mexico, Dominican Republic.
If you want something a bit upscale, try Beaches in Negril or Turks and Caicos. Beach include diving.
Old Aug 29th, 2004, 05:23 PM

We stayed at Beaches Negril in May with our 2 kids (23 & 17). There wasn't a lot of organized activities for their age but we still enjoyed it. They had a talent show one night & karoake in the Safari Bar. Young people enjoyed that. The watersports was excellent. Is he certified to dive? If so have him bring his card. They will even arrange a night dive if people want one. All watersports (diving, snorkeling) are included. If he wants to parasail then that is not part of Beaches. There is no golf at the Beaches resort in Negril unless you count the kiddie golf that is really run down. They do have a fitness center & a waterpark just opened in June.

We got a 1 bedroom suite but if money was not an issue go for the 2 bedroom. There are sofabeds in the suite but my kids said they were very uncomfortable.

I posted some pictures of the resort & Negril at http://www.tropictravelonline.com/cg...ategory=100203

Have a great time wherever you go. We had great memories of our trip. He will love the cliff divers at Rick's but tell him to try jumping at Pirate's Cave.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 04:28 AM

YOu sound like me. We also will be going on our last trip for winter break with my 18 year old. Spring break he does a senior trip. I wanted to do Beaches in Turks and Caicos but instead we are staying at Point Grace because of so many negative reports. I hope we won't be dissappointed. Good luck to you. From one mom to another, I'm going to be a wreck at the end of the year.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info emtravel and benj. Were there many other teens at Iberostar and Beaches Negril? I just have this vision the "family" all-inclusive means primarily younger children.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

vkb2: thanks for the info. What negatives have your heard about Beaches Turks & Caicos?
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 06:28 AM

Rather than focus on a family oriented AI, why not try one for adults only (usually 16 years or up)? Not that I presume to speak for teenagers everywhere, but when I was a teenager I would not have been happy at all with a Beaches-type resort. What about a place like Royal Hideaway in Mexico? Very upscale AI with good reviews for food, accommodations, beaches, etc. It's in a busy enough area that there would be plenty of activities for an 18 year old, and it won't be overrun with small kids and the noise that are part & parcel of a family resort.

If you want to know what folks are saying about the Beaches resorts, go to www.tripadvisor.com and read the reviews. Clearly some folks love 'em, but for every devotee there's a very strong detractor.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 07:50 AM

All that I heard was posted in this forum. Mostly that it's overpriced and overcrowded. The one thing I remember reading (if you type in Beaches turks and caicos in search) was that it was better for younger kids and I think that's what made me change my mind not to mention one week would have cost us $18,000 without the airfare.

What I liked about it was that my kids could eat whenever and whatever they wanted along with all the water sports and it appeared that there would be tons of teens. I'm don't recall why the individual posted better for young kids but I'm sure you can find it. It wasn't that long ago.

I decided that we would stay in a luxurious condo overlooking the ocean and spend quality time together snorkling and visiting some of the surrounding islands and coves. That seemed fine with my kids so long as the water and weather was warm. Now I hear it may be cooler in December, who knows everyone has a different story based upon when they were there.

My son is going to Playa De Carmen for his senior trip and I hear lots of families go there and it's lots of fun. Part of the reason I decided on T&C was for the weather and water and that it was the only body of water John Glenn could see when in outer space so that's where they decided to land. I figured if it was that blue and beautiful it must be good.

Are you wanting your son to go on vacation with you and have fun with everyone else or since this is your last hurrah so to speak, spend an incredible and memorable time with you and your family?
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

vkb2: as much as I'd love for the latter (i.e., spend an incredible and memorable time together), my son doesn't have any siblings to turn to for distraction when the "parental factor" gets to be too much. He's extremely independent as well, so if there are things he'd like to do that might not apply for us (i.e., scuba), he's perfectly content to go off on his own. As a family, we (including my husband) tend to prefer a variety of activites that are ready-at-hand from which we can pick and choose -- some we do together, some we do separately. My son actually didn't even want to go on vacation with us (even though we gave him the choice of nearly anywhere in the world). He's at that age where he'd rather spend his time with his girlfriend and working to make more spending money to spend on his girlfriend. But because this is our last "spring break" together, I played the parental card one last time. Thanks for taking the time to fill me in on T&C -- that really helps as well. I know my son will love that fact that you mentioned John Glenn, since he's going to college for Aeronautical (space) Engineering.
Old Aug 30th, 2004, 04:36 PM

Beaches is really geared for the younger set. I think he would like Negril if he is independent. My 23 yr old did & he is independent too. He had a great discussion of politics with a Rasta beach vendor & took fabulous pictures. We have been to London & Paris & he said this was the best trip.

Try checking out Moon Dance Villas in Negril. You get a villa with your own cook & bartender for about the same cost as an AI resort. They fix whatever you want to eat & drink whenever you ask. They have a pool with each villa & you're right on the beach. I believe they also have internet included so he could share his trip adventures with friends back home.

He might also enjoy a trip to Dunn's River Falls. If you want a good tour at a decent price check Talk of the Town Tours. We used them & they were great. They will do a custom tour if you want. There is plenty to do along the beach if he is adventurous.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone ... also, does anyone have any experience with any of the Riviera Maya all-inclusive resorts?
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 09:29 AM

If money is not an issue, then I would not go to an all-inclusive. There are many great resorts that are not AI, and you are limiting yourself, IMO, by only looking at AI. Also, you can get out to different places for dinner each night, and lunch on day trips. There are some great restaurants on the islands, and you would again be limiting yourself by only eating at your hotel. (Some of the resorts offer full or modified meal plans, like breakfast only, which would also work.)

A place like Cancun offers tons of activities, ruins, etc. A place like St Thomas also has a lot to offer, and for a diver, is paradise as you can take day trips to dive all around the area, e.g. the Virgin Gorda area. The Ritz-Carlton St Thomas is an excellent hotel, there are others on the island. I like Caneel Bay and Little Dix Bay, but might be too quiet for an 18 year old (and no TVs in the rooms), but the beaches are fantastic.
Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 10:29 AM

Bitter End Yacht Club in the BVI's has a great Learn to Sail/Boating/water sports program that I can't wait to go to when my son is older. My other idea is Maui -- don't know if you would consider Hawaii, but we just got back and the Kaanapali beach area seems like a great place for a teenager to be independent. All the resorts are connected by a beach path, there are restaurants, shops, lots of activities. My daughter loved renting a surfboard and surfing all day. Your son could really wander and do his own thing is a very safe environment. Maui Marriott Ocean Club is a great condo resort centrally located. My other suggestion would be a cruise. Aruba also a good destination.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 06:19 AM

We were at Barcelo Maya each Resort not that long ago - the Garden resort is also there, so it is pretty big. Not a huge ride from the airport, lots to do. It is also only a 10-15 minute taxi ride to downtown Playa del Carmen, so easy-access there, too. There were the usual variety of watersports - kayaking, snorkeling, etc. Off-site trips are easily arranged and are not far away.

There were tons of activites going on all the time,ie. volleyball and different types of contests.

Don't forget, your son will be of legal drinking age in Mexico. There was nightly entertainmnet, which was regular resort faire, and a disco which opned at 10:30 nightly.
Old Sep 5th, 2004, 04:37 PM

Why not take his girlfriend with you and then everyone will be happy.
Old Mar 16th, 2021, 01:32 AM

Resort

Jocasta resorts
Old Mar 16th, 2021, 05:23 AM

Bertoo, the OP took this trip about 15 years ago, I think.