Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Recent Travelers Advise Please. (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/recent-travelers-advise-please-316249/)

emhg89 May 12th, 2003 04:40 PM

Recent Travelers Advise Please.

Would like to know how the Turks and Caicos CLub, Alexandra Club and Sands compare?
Which one has the nicest pool? Health club facilites? Accommodations?
How are taxi costs?

HowardC May 13th, 2003 12:18 PM

Boy that is a wide spectrum of choices. Turks and Caicos Club is new within the past year and is very expensive. Don't know if they have health club facilities. Alexandra Resort and Spa is part time share and part condo. It is a work in progress. Only 2 of about 10 buildings are complete so there will probably be construction ongoing. Think the pool and restaurant are finished. Saw it last June and it is okay but I would stay at Sands first. Alexandra rates are probably lowest as they are trying to sell time shares. We Prefer Coral Gardens which is next to Turks and Caicos Club. Condo type suites with kitchens, nice spa, Beach bar and restaurant and excellent restaurant, Coyaba, for dinner. Reef right off the beach for snorkeling. Would not rely on taxis. Cars run $30-$40/day and in the long run are cheaper. Sands probably has the nicest pool

emhg89 May 13th, 2003 05:49 PM

Thanks Howard. I am looking forward to going - I had been to Provo about 11 years ago - the beach was just gorgeous.

truppidavies May 13th, 2003 06:12 PM

Just returned from The Sands, and can not say enough about it. Not a Ritz Carlton, but certainly a wonderful caribben resort...staff was nice for the most part, location was wonderful, restaurnt great!
Alexandra Club is under construction, so I would be hesitant to go there while the construction phase is going on, however, did look like a lovely property.
Can't remember the T&C Club.
Went to Coral Gardens to snorkel 3x and was not impressed by their property at all, although I heard the rooms are nice. Coyaba was just an ok restaurant.

Leslie_S May 25th, 2003 05:19 PM

Just back from The Sands and absolutely loved it - would highly recommend. They are building a new property next to the Alexandra and loud construction was going on all day every day. I thought at the time that I'd be super mad if I was at the Alexandra.
If you have any specific questions about The Sands I can try to help...

Smitty Jun 2nd, 2003 09:50 AM

Leslie,

We're going back to TC next April. Spent a week at Coral Gardens. considering switching to Sands becuase it looked nice there when we ate at Hemingways.

CG was nice but staff was distant but not unfriendly.

Does anyone have any thoughts toshare ?

Coyoba was overpriced.

Smitty Jun 2nd, 2003 09:51 AM

Leslie

How was the health room at the Sands ?

Leslie_S Jun 2nd, 2003 04:51 PM

We thought the staff at the Sands was friendly -- especially the guys/girls at the activity desk by the beach/pool. Also the manager was very "present" and very nice and helpful. Some of the women working the front desk were quiet - not super out-going, but never unfriendly or rude.

The fitness center was rather small. Had a couple of cardio machines (treadmill, elliptical) which looked new and probably had hardly ever been used. There was a large, multi-station piece of universal (maybe not that brand) equipment for lifting weights. You could get a decent, quick work-out. Dumbells only wentup to 15 lbs. The room was on the lower level of one of the main buildings and had some very nice, clean washrooms with showers. Also other spa services offered there. The couple times I went in I was the only one there (wonder why....).

I walked around the Coral Gardens property and from the outside, the Sands looks a bit nicer/newer. More landscaping,etc. Couldn't say how the rooms compare but we were happy with our room at the Sands. We chose just a studio since we didn't think we'd be in the room enough to need a lot of space (for the extra $) )and the studio was fairly large. Had a small "kitchenette" area with a little fridge, sink, microwave, and cabinets with dishes, etc. Also a sitting area with a loveseat & 2 big chairs, an armoire with large TV. The screened porch was nice -- I would definitely opt for that again. Good place to have a happy hour and watch the sun setting before heading out for dinner.

Really can't say enough good about the Sands and T&C. Just an excellent vacation!

belle1031 Jun 3rd, 2003 05:12 PM

We are going to The Sands in December. We booked an OceanFront Studio. Any suggestions as to which floor or specific room to request. Any input would be helpful.
Thanks!

Leslie_S Jun 14th, 2003 04:53 AM

An ocean-front studio sounds great. I would just recommend the second or third floor for the view, breeze, & privacy.

truppidavies Jun 15th, 2003 03:38 PM

I would agree with picking a 2nd/3rd OV room...you will get a better view. Unless, you have an ocean front...which I believe is the cloest building to the ocean, which you may actually enjoy being on the 1st.

Either way, everything will be great...Enjoy!!

belle1031 Jun 16th, 2003 10:31 AM

Thanks for the input about The OceanFront Studios at the Sands...I guess it is preference...but still unsure about the floor...1st seemd closer to the beach..but does 2nd and 3rd floor offer better views and privacy???
Thanks!

Leslie_S Jun 17th, 2003 05:38 PM

Personally, I like the privacy and safer feeling of being on a higher floor -- although I'm sure safety's not a big concern there. I'm trying to remember - I think there was only beach access sort of to the left and right of the resort but not straight up the middle. So even if your room is ocean-front on the first floor, you might not be able to walk straight out onto the beach. I think you'd still have to go over to one of the paths that cross through the brush that grows between the buildings and the beach. So to me, the view, breeze, etc. would be better up higher and I'd vote for that. Just my opinion!! Have a great trip -- the Sands was wonderful and words can't describe how magnificent the beach and water are.

belle1031 Jun 19th, 2003 10:34 AM

Thank you so much for your help!
A few more questions, amy suggestions as to Excursions, my boyfriend loves to fish, we want to snorkel and see the sights. Is there a specific boat charter or excursion that would be best for us. We are going for 6 nights 7 days, should we rent a jeep for a few days to explore the Island? Any input would be great.

Leslie_S Jun 19th, 2003 05:53 PM

At the airport in Provo there's a bunch of brochures on different outings, etc. you might consider. We went on a "beach cruise" that was booked by the tour desk at the Sands. The company they were using was J&B. It was only a few hours -- snorkeling, trip to Iguana Island, and a stop at another beach to hunt for seashells. It was nice -- only 3 couples so not crowded. There were other excursions listed at the hotel tour desk that included fishing, cave exploring, full-days with picnic provided, etc. Booking through the hotel was easy but you could also call any of the other companies yourself -- and there's access to the internet in the lobby so you can check out some of the other trips you see advertised.

As far as renting a car or jeep -- I got the impression that the island was 99% about the beautiful beach & water -- not so much about site-seeing. And I'm not the antsy type that has to keep moving so we were fine to just do the one excursion and stay on the beach the rest of the week. Might be boring for some people...maybe renting a car for a day or two just to get a change of scenery but not necessarily for the whole week (although weekly might be cheaper)?? I did think that with the condition of the roads and driving on the left side, I'd be a bit leery of driving at night. So I was happy to pay for the shuttle to take us to different restaurants -- having a few drinks at dinner would make for an especially interesting drive back ;)