Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Recent stays at Coral Sands or Dunmore Beach Club, Harbour Island? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/recent-stays-at-coral-sands-or-dunmore-beach-club-harbour-island-729684/)

Ljyoung Aug 17th, 2007 09:06 AM

Recent stays at Coral Sands or Dunmore Beach Club, Harbour Island?

Hello: I am researching lodging options for June 2008. We're a family of four. Our two daughters are 17 and 11. Can anyone offer feedback on recent stays at the above mentioned resorts? On this site Dunmore Beach has been characterized as being somewhat remote, quiet and a bit like an "old folks home". Reading the recent Tripadvisor reviews for The Coral Sands, most paint a less than favorable picture (this resort might have been the one that I would feel would be best for the girls as I'm thinking there might be more kids there). I feel that Runaway Hill Inn would be a great choice but to sleep (4) - it's a bit more than I had hoped to spend. Obviously, the same is true of The Pink Sands. The catch however, is that we would like to be on the beach or I would be thinking maybe Romora Bay as it sounds like a nice option, with good food!. If anyone can offer input, I'd really appreciate it.

Ljyoung Aug 18th, 2007 09:44 AM

thought I'd try again .... thanks for any input.

poss Aug 18th, 2007 10:56 AM

Sorry I can't help--except to say have you tried that other popular site Traveltalkonline? I've found it less forthcoming than trip advisor, but still sometimes useful. Also the site called Wheretostay.
Good luck.

blamona Aug 18th, 2007 01:50 PM

With the daughters, I find Coral Sands should be your pick. Dunmore Beach is more "grown up" Runaway Hill I think had some construction, but it feels like a bed and Breakfast. Pink Sands is romantic, and ultra chic. Families seemed to all stay at Valentines-it was great. Really, you can walk the 4 blocks to the beach, and they have umbrellas and lounge chairs for guests there. I think they may also have a shuttle back and forth-may want to ask. (I didn't notice because we had a golf cart.)

Harbor Island is small, easy to walk around, or in a golf cart.

Ljyoung Aug 18th, 2007 04:01 PM

Thanks poss and blamona. Really appreciate your input. I'll try those other web sites. Curious blamona, I need to research golf cart rental but do you recall if there was an age limit for the drivers? Also, I've looked at Valentine's site and it DOES look really nice. Can you tell me, do the rooms have a view of the water? I keep thinking that we want to wake up and be able to run out to the beach but I think if we had a view of the turquoise water and could easily access the beach, we would be happy. How is the food?

blamona Aug 18th, 2007 04:43 PM

Valentines is in front of a marina, no real turquoise view.

Golf carts I think required 20 or 25 years old, or you rent "at your own risk" with liabilities for it. (They ask for a drivers liscense. Carts are $50-$60 a day.

Valentines is close to the "center" of town.

You should try googling a map of Harbour Island, it's not very big.

Pink Sands Beach usually has small waves not as calm as other Out Islands-still one of the nicest beaches you will find anywhere.

At Palm Bay Exumas, you'll still get the turquoise water views, but the beach there is not really swimmable, it's rocky and shallow. To get to the great beaches, requires water taxi to Stocking Island, or car rentals to Tropic of Cancer Beach or Coco Plum Beach, or a boat to the gorgeous beaches on the cays. The beaches trully are spectacular.

you're waiting my opinion on Eleuthera, Harbor Island, and Atlantis? Actually my second trip to all 3-obviously nice enough to repeat! ;-)

travelbuff Aug 19th, 2007 12:05 AM

I was waiting until a few others responded before putting my 2cents in. Dunsmore and Runaway Hill are not really family friendly spots, so if you are a family traveling, I would do Coral Sands or Romora Bay. Romora is villas and could easily accomodate everyone.

The island is indeed small only 3 miles long by 1/2 a mile wide so you can really walk anywhere in a few minutes.

Your June trip planning, the only real suggestion I would make is take along LOTS of sunscreen, because in June it will be hot and sunny.

Romora Bay is on the bay side, but with a great view of the harbour and lush beautiful grounds with a lovely pool almost on the water. www.romorabay.com There is also a dive outfit there so you can arrange a day of snorkle for everyone and there are some amazing snorkle/dive sites just off island, like a Civil War TRAIN, makes for an amazing site a little over 150 years or so later.

There are several good restaurants on island and a bit of shopping.

Have a great time and let us know if you have any other questions.