Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Rather than hijacking a thread, let's start a new post about Volunteering while on vacation or other ideas...

Search

Rather than hijacking a thread, let's start a new post about Volunteering while on vacation or other ideas...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2007, 03:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

meaningful travel: dominica
http://www.i-to-i.com/volunteer-dominica.html

Expeditions in Caribbean:
http://www.earthwatchexpeditions.org/ExpedSearchUS.aspx

this site boasts environmentally responsible accomodations [UK based] in Caribbean:
http://www.responsibletravel.com/Tri...gion100006.htm

Old Dec 17th, 2007, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

You can also find information on messageboards devoted to where your visiting about volunteer opportunities or supplies needed for local orphanages or shelters, etc. and pack them and drop off and visit while you're there.
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 03:27 AM
Original Poster

Last one for now...hopefully others will chime in..
http://www.globalvolunteers.org/

My posts are all volunteer vacations. Haven't had luck finding volunteer opportunities for 1-2 days while on vacation; that's why I think finding indidvidual messageboards and asking would be teh way to include in your vacation.

Trish
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 12:47 PM

Interesting post, Trish. I wish it had been around when I was in the planning stages for a volunteer trip last year. I ended up doing a DIY sort of thing.

So, last year I did some volunteer work on Grenada, an island where I didn't see any organized groups offering volunteer experiences except for working with sea turtles. I knew that was the island I wanted to go to, so I just did a little poking around and emailing with some contacts I had made on Grenada, and eventually they put me in touch with a woman who organizes several different charitable causes on the island.

It was a trip that ended up being very meaningful, and just as soon as I have the money saved up to take another unpaid leave from work, I'll do it again!
Old Dec 17th, 2007, 01:02 PM

Good call TnTWalter, I really didn't want to hijack the other thread, but wanted people to know there are indeed options other than trying to avoid poverty type conditions.

There's a group I deal with up here in the Toronto area of Canada that is called Not Just Tourists. They work to prepare medical packs that people can take to 3rd world countries. Personally, I take cardio medicines to a Caribbean doctor and generally take a 10kg (22 lbs) package of various prescription meds on each trip.

And the truth is, that it doesn't have to be a lot, but if every traveller does a little, it's simply amazing what can be accomplished.

Even the airline that I regularly travel cooperates. If I call the station manager in advance, he'll waive any extra weight charges for the medical pack. Bloody nice if you ask me.

You never know till you ask, but it's satisfying to do.