rain forest excursion/which one?

Feb 22nd, 1999, 03:39 PM
judyj

rain forest excursion/which one?

which is best rain forest for excursion in so. caribbean?: puerto rico or one of the other islands? our budget allows one. thanks!

Feb 22nd, 1999, 04:35 PM
Diane

What kind of excursion are you talking about? A trek in with camping (which is possible in El Yunque in PR) or just a day trip via bus with guided walking tour (not extensive, but pretty nice). I just did one of those on an afternoon off from a week-long business meeting and it hit the spot. That was in Puerto Rico. You have to remember, it is a rain forest and may possibly be RAINING although the weather elsewhere is sunny. I was pretty impressed with El Yunque, and would recommend it. However if you really want in-depth rain forest, you might prefer Costa Rica.

Feb 22nd, 1999, 04:42 PM
Diane

One more note -- it was purely for vegetation -- the native parrots were sadly blown away with the last hurricane. We saw a few hummingbirds, and the sounds came mostly from the coqui frogs. My only comparison is with a trip up a volcano in Guadaloupe 20 years ago, and I don't think that was a true rain forest, just jungle.

Feb 22nd, 1999, 05:47 PM
judyj

want to know best rain forest excursion for 1/2-1day trip. info. was helpful concerning wildlife. we haven't been anywhere "exotic" and probably are trying to get too much in one trip! fun day-dreaming, though. thanks again.

Search this Thread