Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   quick weekend trip (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/quick-weekend-trip-757273/)

mishoe01 Dec 17th, 2008 05:25 PM

quick weekend trip

I'm looking to run away to the islands for a quick weekend - probably over MLK weekend (16-19 January) and need help making a decision as to where to go....please help!

I am looking to now spend too much $, but don't want a dump. I am looking to relax, sit on the beach, and do a bit of snorkeling. I'll be traveling solo and not big into night life/clubs so don't need that.

These are the places I was thinking of...(somewhat limited due to availability for a free ticket)
Marsh Harbour, Bahamas
Turks & Caicos
Trinidad
St Croix

I appreciate all your help.

girlonthego Dec 18th, 2008 03:35 AM

snorkeling and safe, I like the cayman islands.

Free ticket? I would fly to the easiest place to get to fast with the short trip you have planned. If you can fly non-stop, take it. If you have to change planes, you will lose a day each way.

Callaloo Dec 18th, 2008 03:59 AM

Love Marsh Harbour, but wouldn't go there in early January -- it can be chilly. It can be warm, too, but generally from Dec-Mar, the air and water temperature can make it uncomfortable to be in the water, at least for folks who live south of NJ. Ditto the Turks & Caicos, though they are a bit warmer than the Bahamas.

Is Trinidad do-able for a long weekend? I would expect the flight time to be an issue.

I haven't been to STX in eons, but I recall that there were places with good snorkeling (Buck Island, for example). You'd have to make at least one connection to get there, so make sure the flight times make your visit worthwhile.

For me, Puerto Rico is always a go-to deep winter long weekend getaway. I don't know your departure airport, but there are a lot of nonstops from the US east coast that get you into PR without consuming too much valuable vacation time. I don't know about snorkeling in Puerto Rico, since it's not a high priority for me, but I expect you can get everything else you're looking for.

girlonthego Dec 18th, 2008 09:07 AM

I agree that Puerto Rico is usually a quick and warm winter getaway. Lots of flights.
We stayed at the Caribe Hilton April 07. My husband took his first scuba diving course at the beach next to the Caribe.He then went scuba diving right outside the rope area by the Caribe. He said he has not seen as many fish as he saw there ever again and he was only about 10 feet down. It was a shallow dive. The caribe feeds fish a lot and they were near the feeding area.
The hotel is off by itself, but is a quick cab ride to restaurants and the old san juan town area.
The hotel has several restaurants on property and it's own private beach.

doug_stallings Dec 18th, 2008 09:26 AM

For what you want, I would not go to the Bahamas or Turks & Caicos. I find the beach and water too cool in January to be truly comfortable.

St. Croix might be a good choice. There are a lot of inexpensive inns where you could stay (but few are really on the beach, so you'd probably have to rent a car and drive).

Trinidad is not really a good destination for what you are looking for. I don't think the flight time would be the issue (it's just a bit over an hour farther than St. Croix), but it won't have the kind of beaches you are looking for.

Puerto Rico is a good choice (especially if you went to Vieques or Culebra).

Caribzack Dec 18th, 2008 09:53 AM

Turks and Caicos may be cooler than other more southern islands but, I feel the Avg. January air temp. of 75-78 and water temp of 75-77 is GREAT ( Compared to NY). We have been to TCI In Jan. b4 and LOVE it..
TCI is easy to get to and great dining and beautiful 12 miles beach.

Tuxedocat Dec 18th, 2008 07:28 PM

Have you checked out Travelocity's Last Minute Weekend trips? We have taken several and they've worked out very well for us. Saves you alot of money too.

InfoNevis Dec 19th, 2008 03:49 AM

Mishoe01 You should look into St.Kitts and Nevis too of the Caribbeans friendliest islands. Our white sandy beaches where you will be able to see some of our turtles. Our Hot spring which has heeling powers for aches and pain. Dinning at Lime Cafe one of the islands recently open restaurant staff has promise to take good care of you. So many more please contact me for further questions.