Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Quick trip to Jamaica--need advice! (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/quick-trip-to-jamaica-need-advice-496549/)

ajl55 Jan 18th, 2005 08:34 PM

Quick trip to Jamaica--need advice!

I'm trying to plan a quick weekend getaway in May (for my 30th birthday!) for me and my boyfriend and found a cheap charter to Jamaica. The charter flies into Ocho Rios, and given that we only have 3 nights, I didn't know if we should find a nice resort there or travel on to Negril or Mo Bay.

My boyfriend has been to Jamaica and thinks I'll be disappointed in Ocho Rios, but I've never been to Jamaica, so don't even know how difficult it is to get from city to city. Any advice anyone could offer on the subject would be very much appreciated.

Also, any resort advice would be awesome. We are in our early 30's, no kids. My boyfriend loves golf, while I'm more interested in lounging in the sun. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm hoping a weekend in paradise will ease the sting of the big 3-0!
thanks in advance!

tivertonhouse Jan 19th, 2005 02:31 AM

The best golf courses on island are The White Witch and Tryall, both outside Montego Bay with greens fees running about US$175+up for guests not staying at Ritz Carlton for WW and Tryall. Half Moon ranks third; the Runaway Bay SuperClub's course and Negril Hills next. You'll spend 1.75 hours travelling from Ochi to MoBay, 2.5-3 hours travelling from Ochi to Negril -- and back. If the pricetag doesn's offput you, GOLDENEYE is 5 min.down the road from your arrival airport in Boscobel, about 10 min.outside Ochi.
There's a sweet little cottage called
TE-MOANA that the owners of Harmony Hall/a great art gallery and Toscanini/a VG Italian restaurant there manage right on oceanfront. A bargain.
And it might let you decompress while your bf golfs. If you're up to the travelling, Idle-A-Way, the redone Country Country, Rockhouse in Negril will give you the best beach/restaurant choices/diversions, while Negril Hills golf course is nearby.

golf_guy Jan 19th, 2005 04:59 AM

ajl55,

If you decide to stay in Ochi, Jamaica Inn would be a wonderful place to enjoy your birthday. And golf is only moments away at the Sandals Golf Club (former Upton Country Club), where JamInn has a reduced fee arrangement.
Not as good a course as the ones Tiv mentions, for sure, but playable and fun.

liza Jan 19th, 2005 09:12 AM

There's no international airport in Ochi, you must fly into MoBay or Kingston and then either take a puddle jumper or drive to Ochi.

Is it that you have a charter + hotel deal for Ochi?

ajl55 Jan 20th, 2005 08:08 PM

for some reason my last response isn't posting on the main page so I'll try again! I checked and you're right--the charter flies into Mo. Bay! I don't know how I got Ochi into my head, but I'm glad that I found out before I spent more time researching it. thanks! So, any thoughts about M. Bay?

Tiffy321 Jan 20th, 2005 08:19 PM

Friends of mine really enjoyed Sandals in Negril.

Personally when we drove past it back in October, I wasn't too impressed with what it looked like on the outside...however I shouldn't comment really seeing much was destroyed on the Island by the Hurricane... but it wasn't as colorful and vibrant looking as I expected...but really, what does that mean...could be great...my firends had a blast!