Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Quick advice for first time in Anguilla (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/quick-advice-for-first-time-in-anguilla-616279/)

MKup May 17th, 2006 07:54 AM

Quick advice for first time in Anguilla

My fiance and I are planning a honeymoon for August and would really like to go to Anguilla. We know it will be getting close to hurricane season, but we've heard August is still ok for ideal weather.

We wanted to go to Cap Juluca, but I heard it's closing in September for a period of time (selling?) so I don't want to get poor service. What is the next best thing to CJ? I heard KU is nice and was thinking of going there. I also heard good things about Parot Cay. We basically want to hang out on the beach where not many people will pass by us and go out to eat. We also want to take a day trip...perhaps to St. Martin and take part in some island Carribean activities (but not many). Any advice or suggestions (especially about resorts) will be very much appreciative!

ALR May 17th, 2006 09:49 AM

For a honeymoon, I don't think you're going to find anything like Cap Juluca. There are rumors going around that it is up for sale, but nothing is definite yet. Closing is as usual so far. In August, restaurant owners start to close up for the hurricane season, but a lot of places are open through Carnival, which is the first week of August.

OT May 17th, 2006 01:00 PM

KU is nice, but you can not compare it to Cap Juluca.

CJ and most other hotels and resorts in Anguilla starts winding down and close for business from end August to mid/end November. During this period refurbishments are being done.

Yes, there are rumours that CJ is up for sale, one rumour was that it would be closed from August to March, another rumour says it will be closed "as normal" end August and open up in November.

Since you first choice was CJ, but you are unsure, I suggest you look into Malliouhana, the island's first luxury resort, I do not think you will be disappointed there.

Another choice for upscale resort is CuisinArt.

Ike May 18th, 2006 09:32 AM

I just got back from CJ and AXA two days ago. I was there with my wife for 6 nights and had a fantastic time. I met the GM of CJ through her father who was a very gracious host showing us around AXA. He's an elderly cab driver and took us places 5/6 times. The owners of CJ are feuding over $$$ I assume and have a trial going on but it's not over. According to the people I talked to CJ is not for sale but it will close in S/O as usual and reopen in November. I would not hestitate to go in August. The last hurricane was over 10 years ago. Just be prepared to leave if one shows up.

There must have been at least 10 weddings at CJ while I was there but it was not crowded. The weather was great and the beach is beautiful. Service was excellent and the food was very good. My only complaint is the swimming pool is out of the way and not in a nice spot. I wish they would move it out on the point by Pimms. The BBQ on the beach on Friday nights is nice along with the good music. Email me at axleattecinfodotcom if you have any questions.

penny May 18th, 2006 10:12 AM

Oh, Jill's dad, a nice man for sure. We had him drive us to Blowing Point a few years ago.

MKup, if you are talking about this August, I would check to see if CJ has room, even though this is off season
this hotel and others will fill up--especially if its during August carnival.

bakergirl May 19th, 2006 12:42 PM

I've stayed at Cuisinart and thought it was wonderful. We were there in August and had no problems (toss of the dice, of course) but it was quite hot. It's definitely an upmarket resort and very elegant, in an understated way. It's small and quiet, but it sounds like that's what you want.
There are two types of accomodations there: rooms in the main building and suites right on the beach. We stayed in a beachfront suite and it was one of the most relaxing beach vacations we've ever had. The room was huge and the view was stunning. The beach is so peaceful and, in my experience anyway, not at all crowded. It seems most guests enjoy staying poolside.
They offer lots of nice little touches from complimentary bottled water in coolers at the beach to an easy check in (no standing in line at a counter) with a welcome beverage.
The spa is wonderful and the food is terrific; they even have their own hydroponic gardens on the premises.

MKup May 24th, 2006 07:07 AM

Thank you all very much for your help. The more I hear, it sounds like CJ is just closing as normal. One other quick question - although CJ and Cuisinart seem very nice, any thoughts on La-Sirena, Carimar and Paradise Cove (I know some of these are in a slightly different class)? We might be interested in splitting our time between two places.

MKup May 24th, 2006 07:08 AM

We're also interested in KU

MKup Jun 1st, 2006 12:51 PM

Thanks again. We have decided to split out time between Ku and CJ! We are so excited and can't wait (especially since both resorts seem to be on the two best beaches of the island...although the whole island seems beautiful). I've been reading up on which restaurants to hit while were there. I'd also like to go to St. Martin for a day or on another kind of excursion. Any other helpful hints would be appreciated.

MaryD Jun 1st, 2006 02:00 PM

Sunset cruise on the catamaran Chocolat; evenings in Sandy Ground dancing at the Pumphouse, Johnno's and Sunsets; drinks in the bar watching the sunset at Malliouhana; tequila shooters at Picante (near Cap); lazy Sunday afternoon at Shoal Bay East with live music -- check out www.anguillaguide.com for more info.